• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Jukar Spain

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick Son

45 Cal.
Reaction score
A friend that owns a little antique store did a little trading with me,she needed some leather,
i always looked at a percussion rifle she had, and knew nothing about.She wanted 200 for it, i told here she would not get that becuase of condition and offered to take it home and redo the wood and polish it up a bit, and she said why don't you just take it home, i am tired of looking at it,it's been hangin there forever.Well she basicly gave it to me for the leather a couple old holsters.
So i thank you all for letting me ask about it and any info or thoughts you have.Jukar Spain 45 ca, #s 027687 and that's it.Barrel has no rust just a little dirty,maybe just a tad of rust here and there,bore looks clean as far as i could see with small light and rifleing is deep and clean,it may have been shot once,then hung up for display.
I am thinking made in the 70s????Most likely something like CVA would sell? It does not seem to be a kit,everything is strieght and fits well,but the color is awfull.What is best to use to get the old varnish off?Thinking i will flat black it with rub areas as to look used but i will shoot it,the barrel is clear as i can blow through the nipple and out..Hope i didn't pester to much with the pictures,it does look like a bad varnish job,the pics don't show it~Thanks all you pros out there.

DSC07981_zps9b7206c8.jpg

DSC07982_zpsa6b95994.jpg

DSC07979_zpse7f202b2.jpg

DSC07975_zps95b8b42f.jpg

DSC07976_zps3c9754c8.jpg

DSC07978_zps8255aa28.jpg

It is Sunday a.m., I won't lie to you. Might on a Monday, but not today. :wink:
"Jukar" is synonymous with "junk".
You paid the right price for it.
Clean up and enjoy your wal hanger.

Hate to say 1776 is sorta right in his own, usual, way.

They're around. I wouldn't pay for one. A girlfriend had a flint pistol one I cleaned up as well as possoble that she would hide as part of her 18th C. portrayals -- a lady alone should always have a gun in the house we thought. Even if it was Spanish.

:wink:

That rifle got a bad rap because of the split stock and it was generally made cheap and there are still folks that don't like it. I myself have little respect for the current model marketed by Traditions Arms.

But that olde Jukar 45cal barrel is a tack driver!

With work it can be made into a match winner.
* The "split" area needs attention first, whether it's glued and bedded (acraglas) or somehow made super tight the stock movement will cause issues.
* The locks where just assembled from stamped parts. If the lock is fully disassembled and the parts polished to remove burrs and smooth bearing surfaces it can be lightning fast.
* The stock is Spanish Beechwood, and that stuff is hard! If your going to re-furb the rifle you can use a rasp and remove a lot of wood to get it into better "thin" shape. I've re-done a few and always add about a pound of weight to the butt stock under the plate by drilling holes and filling with melted lead.

Sharon is still shooting this one and winning matches; http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/269225/post/1145359/hl//fromsearch/1/

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a several of them. They were sold as CVAs and Traditions when they first started marketing MLs. They were also sold under other names. Far from the best but I will agree they were usually very good shooters. They basically make a good entry level ML to get you started.
Jukar is actually where they were made in Spain. My first rifle I bought was a Jukar and I still have it and shoot it today. Mine looks basically the same as yours and the &0s is about right for when it was made. Yours doesn't look like they shot it much and they took fairly good care of it for its age.

Okie dokie then i'll send er right over :) Man i really like that flaming star,what a great job on that,i am not that talented!

They were sold as CVAs

Yep, my first ml rifle was one of those sold by CVA. It was the definition of a "junker".
It had a two piece barrel. Some have told me CVA never sold rifles with two pieces barrels. And they say that after I tell them I had one with a two piece barrel. :shocked2:
The flintlock was miserable. And that's an understatement.
From a distance, hanging on the wall, they can look (sorta) OK.

I had heard of those. Was it two pieces as in two halves or was it two pieces as in a short section where the breech plug is and the barrel mounted together?
I bought a unassembled kit a few years back just for giggles and something to do and because it was really cheap. It is a Hopkins & Allen but said made in Spain. Probably a Juker. Looks just like them. Anyway it has a barrel and the breech area has a short section mounted too it. I heard some of the really early ones had problems with barrel run out when they drilled them. Shoots Ok but I only shot it twice.

You've got a little leather invested in it, so why not make the best of it? Check to see that it's not loaded, and inspect the bore for overall condition. Remove the nipple and cleanout screw and make sure the drum/fire channel is clear.

Determine the caliber of the bore and get the proper ball size and patch thickness. A good starting point for ball and patch thickness combination will equal the groove-to-groove bore diameter: ball diameter + (patch thickness x2). Or bore minus ball diameter will give you twice the patch thickness.

Another rule of thumb for starting powder loads is to use the same powder weight as the ball diameter.

Shoot groups of 5 rounds and successively increase powder weight by 5 grains per set until you find best accuracy.

When you are satisfied with your accuracy, then go about the cosmetic work.

Citristrip or any furniture stripper can be used to remove the current finish. The beech stock may be difficult to stain, but a darker color will look better. Alcohol or water based stains, such as Laurel Mountain Forge will work better on beech wood than the usual Minwax stains. A linseed oil finish would be sufficient.

For the stock joint, either dowel or even a biscuit joint would work, replacing the brass spacer with wood would make the job easier.

Be sure to crosspin the end(s) of your ramrod.

necchi said:
... But that olde Jukar 45cal barrel is a tack driver! ...

I got one a while back, the barrel was treated badly and ended up as three pistols that shoot quite well. I have the lock and brass fittings, the stock got lost in my move to AZ.

Paul, aka BartSr, aka IdeZilla

I have one like it only it's a flintlock. No Jukar or serial number marking on the barrel, only Spain. It is a tack driver and the lock sparks just fine. I got it used so don't know what may have been done to it prior and the stock split has a wide brass band instead of the thin one.

Was it two pieces as in two halves or was it two pieces as in a short section where the breech plug is and the barrel mounted together?

The barrel was joined about halfway down. And, they weren't joined well. There was a definite seam or ridge in there.
I got it just after moving to my home near Friendship. I was surrounded by many of the greats in NMLRA. Most were experts in all phases of ml'ing, building, etc. They were so disgusted with the lack of quality in that 'Junkar' they gave me little assistance in trying to fix it up. I didn't keep it long and replaced with an early TC 'not really a Hawken'.

I put together a JUKAR derringer from a kit years ago. The tang split when I tightened the screw snugly. It is a piece of 'krap'. I hope yours is better.

That’s a beauty of a rifle; I would love to have it. My Jukar has been winning matches and shooting the heads off squirrels for almost 30 years. Ignore the Jukar haters , they hate them because they know when they show up at a match competition is going to be tough.

A quick question if ya pleasemi know some get better ram rods,hickory and or composite?What do you prefer,this one has to go.

Wish i knew how to enlay,i love the look~Thanks for your opinions,i really want to do this right.

colorado clyde said:
That’s a beauty of a rifle; I would love to have it. My Jukar has been winning matches and shooting the heads off squirrels for almost 30 years. Ignore the Jukar haters , they hate them because they know when they show up at a match competition is going to be tough.

It is? You would? It has? It will!?

The proper ramrod for a Jukar...
...obviously comes is two pieces!

:wink:

Yeah, they win matches Alden, Especially if there are TC's in the shooting line.

Chief, keep the ramrod and just buy a range rod I like the fiberglass kind Track of the Wolf has.

Forgive me -- I was not privy to the secret of the top muzzleloading competitive shooters being Jukars. Would you say it's the excellent lock or the two-piece stocks as well as barrels that provide the edge?

LOL

Dear Lord, I can't even type that without hurting myself laughing...

The really good news is when a Jukar-Spain shows up in a barrel at a gun show (as opposed to one on the curb) they are there for a couple of seasons so no-one will have a problem picking one of these "sleepers" up...

Oh my -- I think I have a hernia now!

:rotf:

Jukar is for sure on the cheaper end of M'loading...BUT they were very accurate little rifles. I had 4 of them and all shot better than I do. The only real issue I ever had with mine is that they were so darn light, I felt every bit of recoil my load could muster...other than that no real complaints.
Chief: have fun with that little rifle...!

Latest posts

Back