• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Jaeger

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PA16th

40 Cal.
Reaction score
How many Jaeger owners are there? Does anyone hunt with a Jaeger rifle? I am thinking about adding one to my blackpowder collection. Any thoughts on these rifles would be appreciated. :hmm:
Thanks,
Don

I have one I built of my own design...kinda plain
but great to hold...shorter than my Kentucky's
which seem to have gotten too long as they got
older...shoots great. Hits hard. No I don't hunt
any more...
Wulf

I have a custom Jaeger built by Sitting Fox, it is a .54 cal with a 28" barrel. I have taken 1 moose and 2 caribou with it. fast and handy in heavy cover and accurate out to 100+ yards.
A very good hunting rifle.

I have a Pedersoli Jaeger in .54. I have not had a chance to shoot it yet. They are a barrel heavy rifle not made for a small person, which I am not. So that draw back of it does not bother me.

This is a .58 Cal 29.5" Longhammock swamped barrel. The .58 cal. was a small bore Yeager. The 29.5" barrel was an average lenght. This is a radius cut barrel. It has a 3 leave rear sight. I use this for primitve shoots. I shoot a .563 ball. These are great hunting rifles. Rifle was bilt by Steve Zhinn of Wyoming.

IMG_0011-3.jpg

I had an Edward Marshall rifle which is very similar. Beyond any doubt, the best rifle I ever owned. If I could afford to replace it with something similar, I would do so in a heartbeat.

I have a custom made one with a 38 inch barrel.
All hand forged hardware, rifled by the maker.

I like them! Easy to carry, pack a wallop, and fun to make. This one is a .62, and gave me a nice six point the first time out with it.
IM000675.jpg

Robby

I have several- a Pedersoli that I hunt with, a very nice custom .58 that I got from Wayne Zurl, and an original .62 that was converted to percussion. Nice handling rifles- short and easy to handle. A long-barreled rifle would be a problem in our rugged country out here. The makers of these knew about hunting when they designed these rifles.

I have one built by my friend Hawk. It is a .54 cal. Montana barrel. It has the Davis lock I have much cursed. It is better now with the replaced cock. I have taken hunting but haven't blooded it yet. It sat in the safe for several years unused because of my torn up left shoulder. Happily, I can now shoot it again.
Jaegerrifle-2.jpg
[/img]

Here's the one I made to hunt with. I have killed a lot of game with it.
It's a 62 cal and I have killed antelope, deer, elk and 1 moose with this rifle.
MyRifle3.jpg

myRifle2.jpg

MyRifle8.jpg

MyRifle.jpg

My Pedersoli Jaeger is NOT historically accurate. But it's my go-to gun for wilderness travels. I haven't killed anything with it yet, and it's not the most accurate gun in my "collection" (if you want to dignify my scraps with such an appelation) but it's heavy enough to not kick much with 90 grains, and its tight-twist .54 barrel will stabilize those all-copper unmentionables which I have to use in condor country. But it also handles lead ball well enough. It fits in a standard gun case. And the broad, solid leather sling makes my long outings more comfortable. All in all, it's my #1 black powder gun. Yesterday I fired 16 shots, and they all went bang.

If authenticity is important to you makes sure you find a builder that has studied these guns in detail. The guns illustrated in this thread are fine guns, but don't have alot in common with real Jeager rifles. I'd contact Stophel for a PC gun. He's about the only guy I know that has handled many originals. Here's a couple I have built copied from guns in the Brandenburg area.
smalley1.jpg

smalley3.jpg

hjeager1.jpg

hj5.jpg

Here are some detail pics of mine. I asked my builder to put a fish somewhere on mine, meaning a standard Christian style. Being the creative guy he is, he put two on it, one on each side as shown.
The front sight, at my request, was to be white bone. He used ivory.
My name in silver on the top flat was a bonus I didn't expect.
Jaegerfish.jpg
[/img]
Jaegersight.jpg
[/img]
Jaegername.jpg
[/img]

Present day builders build them too large, the old ones were quite petite in comparison. Our Modern day trigger pull length is impossible to hide also. The old ones were 11.5" to maybe 13".
The Germanic guns had schools just like the Colonial american rifles did. Modern day Jeagers are all a horrible mish mash of schools.

Do we have a debate starting here? :wink: Easy to do when talking Jaeger styles. Gotta disagree my friend. The Jaegers shown are fine examples. Mebbe a detail or two here or there that can be nit picked (my barrel isn't swamped :( ). Yours is but just one example of the varying styles through the centuries and much of Europe. It is called the Berlin or Brandenburg school, ca, 1677-1724. It features the belly stock. Technically a lot of "convexivity". (thank you to our late friend George Schumway) Not to my personal taste. But.....I wouldn't make a lamp stand out of it either. :wink: :v

Back