• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

J W VanMeter rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the reply! I would be very interested in the names found on barrel also.
I've had Dad's ydna done and we are from the original Van Meters who came over in 1661/2 on the ship Fox. I just cannot figure out his father so I'm stuck. All families with JW are stuck right there as far as I've found in my 15 yrs of research.
I have read his probate. Honestly it left more questions than answers. No burial place revealed?! People coming out of the woodwork for money and it went on for years. Maybe that was normal for then?
As far as the son who disappeared from census rolls I'm not sure which you speak about. I know off hand where several ended up but will go take a look. His son James Henry was wounded in the war. He had moved to Arkansas about 1880 and this is my line.

The article written by JW Van Meter I'd love to know that it was in fact written by my JW.
Years ago I had found an article about JW and a man named Hart I believe both gunsmiths. I can't find it again.
The article, come to find out, is indeed the work of my JW VanMeter. Do you still have the rifle and are you ready to sell it to me? 😀 😍 oh, his son Thomas Jefferson VanMeter married and moved off. He was the missing one you mentioned.

Back