• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

J W VanMeter rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently took in a caplock rifle for cleaning and inspection which had the inscription J W VanMeter marked on the barrel. The rifle belongs to an elderly lady who keeps it on the wall of her formal dining room as a display. The rifle is 45 caliber with a heavy, 1 1/4 " across the flats, 36" long J & D Little bros. barrel. It has a Goulcher lock with no half-cock and double set triggers. It is half-stocked in striped maple and mounted in silver. It has a single barrel key. The rifle weighs 14 lbs and a little bit and is reminiscent of the Ohio style plains rifle. The only information I can find on VanMeter is that he was active in the Richmond Dale area of Ohio, and built target rifles. He was established in the area as early as 1854. I'm hoping someone on the forum has more information. I know, PICS. Not possible this time as she wanted it back before Santa could bring my new camera.

Ohio rifles are my favorites.

There was a John Van Meter who worked as a gunsmith in Richmond Dale, Darke County, Ohio in the first half of the 1800's.

A half stock with a Goulcher lock would have been "typical" of the 1840-1860 time frame, especially if it had the (long nose) on the forestock with a pewter nose cap.

They were often decorated with a variety of german silver and brass inlays. The earlier 1800's rifles often had a National Road or Western Penn style patchbox which was replaced by a capbox after about 1850, as seen more commonly on western rifles.

Darke County was home to quite a number of Gun Smiths during the mid-1800's, with Daniel Marker Sr. probably being the most notable.

(should have added - the Ohio Longrife group, AOLRC - may be able to give you some detailed information if you can catch hold of anyone there)

Thanks for the information. This is probably the same gentleman. I hope I can get the rifle back into the shop for some pictures. It's a beautiful rifle and the hardware is real silver. The bore has been freshed and different sights added over the years, but still very nice.

No provenance, I wish there was. Her deceased husband took this rifle and two Belgian African trade muskets in lieu of payment on a loan about forty years ago.

I recently took in a caplock rifle for cleaning and inspection which had the inscription J W VanMeter marked on the barrel. The rifle belongs to an elderly lady who keeps it on the wall of her formal dining room as a display. The rifle is 45 caliber with a heavy, 1 1/4 " across the flats, 36" long J & D Little bros. barrel. It has a Goulcher lock with no half-cock and double set triggers. It is half-stocked in striped maple and mounted in silver. It has a single barrel key. The rifle weighs 14 lbs and a little bit and is reminiscent of the Ohio style plains rifle. The only information I can find on VanMeter is that he was active in the Richmond Dale area of Ohio, and built target rifles. He was established in the area as early as 1854. I'm hoping someone on the forum has more information. I know, PICS. Not possible this time as she wanted it back before Santa could bring my new camera.

Hello,
My name is Anne Van Meter.
It sounds like you may be speaking of a gun made by my 3xGreat Grandfather
James William Van Meter
Master gunsmith
B Va 1811 d Ohio 1878
Ross county Ohio-married Editha Dawson
I wish I knew who his father was.. btw.

I recently purchased one of his rifles we found online from Norway. I am estatic and it was an emotional thing to open it and hold it.

Another example I found on Facebook on a Kentucky museum page. It had been on loan there by another, unknown to me, Van Meter.

Another was auctioned off last year up North and I missed it!

Needless to say, I'm very interested in them and I'd love to purchase them all. Lots of Van Meter's to pass them down to.
I will try to upload the description as found online of the one I purchased.

Any knowledge you'd share about the rifle I'd really appreciate it.

Attachments

• IMG_3510.JPG
    IMG_3510.JPG
    141.6 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_3526.JPG
    IMG_3526.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_3527.JPG
    IMG_3527.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_3528.JPG
    IMG_3528.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_3530.JPG
    IMG_3530.JPG
    117.3 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_7864.JPG
    IMG_7864.JPG
    221 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
Thanks for your reply. Your research parallels mine with the results being similar. As an update, I was able to purchase the rifle from the lady who owns it and have it disassembled now. It's a nice rifle, plain but well built. The rifle has a similar profile and architecture as those you found but has a heavy target barrel and globe front sight and micrometer rear sight both of which were later added. It weighs almost fourteen pounds. It has, unfortunately been modified several times in the intervening years and is no longer as J W built it but is still a representative example of his work. I researched census records for the years that J W lived in Richmond dale and discovered that one of his sons disappeared from the census roles some time between 1860 and 1870 and presume he was a casualty of the Civil War. I also researched the original Virginia land grant holders and found a line of Van Metres that emigrated from Holland to Virginia and eventually to Ohio. Van Metre was the pre American spelling and was changed, I supposed to appear less foreign. I also found a newspaper article with an historical synopsis of the county historical background and details of the residents and businesses of the area done by J W shortly before his death. I have a copy of his probate and will post it if I can find it. I'm in the process of examining the disassembled rifle and researching several names found engraved on the bottom flat of the barrel. I will post pictures as soon as I can.

Thanks for the reply! I would be very interested in the names found on barrel also.
I've had Dad's ydna done and we are from the original Van Meters who came over in 1661/2 on the ship Fox. I just cannot figure out his father so I'm stuck. All families with JW are stuck right there as far as I've found in my 15 yrs of research.
I have read his probate. Honestly it left more questions than answers. No burial place revealed?! People coming out of the woodwork for money and it went on for years. Maybe that was normal for then?
As far as the son who disappeared from census rolls I'm not sure which you speak about. I know off hand where several ended up but will go take a look. His son James Henry was wounded in the war. He had moved to Arkansas about 1880 and this is my line.

The article written by JW Van Meter I'd love to know that it was in fact written by my JW.
Years ago I had found an article about JW and a man named Hart I believe both gunsmiths. I can't find it again.

I found the article in the Ohio historical society files. I forgot to bookmark the page and couldn't find the article with a cursory search later, but it's in there somewhere. The sons name escapes me now but instead of being a mortal casualty, I guess he could have moved out of the area and that wouldn't have been reflected in the census files. The codicils in the will were interesting in that he left bedding and room contents and some portion of land to the daughters. Ill include the census info here.

1860 Federal Census: Ohio
Jefferson Township, Ross County
James Vanmeter 49/Male/White/Gunsmith/VA
Editha Vanmeter 45/Female/White/OH
George Vanmeter 22/Male/White/OH
Mariah Vanmeter 19/Female/White/OH
Jefferson Vanmeter 13/Male/White/OH
Orlando Vanmeter 6/Male/White/OH
Cornelia Vanmeter 3/Female/White/OH
Minnie Vanmeter 2/Female/White/OH
--------------
1870 Federal Census: Ohio
Richmond, Jefferson Township, Ross County
Enumerated 22 June 1870
Page 728B
Lines 3-9, HH 45/45
James Vanmeter 58/Male/White/Gunsmith/$1000-$500/VA
Editha Vanmeter 54/Female/White/KeepingHouse/OH
Maria Vanmeter 28/Female/White/AssistsHouseKeeping/OH
Orlando Vanmeter 15/Male/White/AtHome/AttendedSchool/OH
Cornelia Vanmeter 13/Female/White/AtHome/AttendedSchool/OH
Minnie Vanmeter 11/Female/White/AtHome/AttendedSchool/OH
Gertrude Vanmeter 9/Female/White/AtHome/AttendedSchool/

Hello again! I was contacted by a man who has another of JWVanMeter’s. I will post a few pics. Could you give me an idea of what would be fair to offer? TIA

Attachments

• B35547AC-2729-44B8-9B96-611270D85DC4.jpeg
    B35547AC-2729-44B8-9B96-611270D85DC4.jpeg
    131.3 KB · Views: 86
  • F29FE451-7B60-44CA-9003-392E8FB97E8E.jpeg
    F29FE451-7B60-44CA-9003-392E8FB97E8E.jpeg
    180.6 KB · Views: 86
  • 64D9EF29-FDE7-4B38-8D10-3FE8C98CC7F6.jpeg
    64D9EF29-FDE7-4B38-8D10-3FE8C98CC7F6.jpeg
    96.8 KB · Views: 86
  • 71744D49-79C8-4392-8D92-611C4D489B54.jpeg
    71744D49-79C8-4392-8D92-611C4D489B54.jpeg
    129.2 KB · Views: 86
  • 39B2B024-74EE-474E-876B-DBCF59C237B4.jpeg
    39B2B024-74EE-474E-876B-DBCF59C237B4.jpeg
    150.7 KB · Views: 88
I too have a JW Vanmeter barrels rifle - somehow it found its way down to western North Carolina and came west with my great great great grandfather in 1865. Made its way down through the family over the years and was given to me by my grandfather in 1976. Wish I knew more to share but thank you all for the education.

I also have a JW VanMeter rifle. It's a percussion full-stock long rifle, 42" barrel, approximately .36. It is plain but pretty, no patchbox. Does have a double set trigger. Lock is marked "Cinncinnati" and something above it too faint to read. Sadly, this rifle has a through-and-through wrist break. Currently looking for someone to repair it. Any info appreciated!

I also have a JW VanMeter rifle. It's a percussion full-stock long rifle, 42" barrel, approximately .36. It is plain but pretty, no patchbox. Does have a double set trigger. Lock is marked "Cinncinnati" and something above it too faint to read. Sadly, this rifle has a through-and-through wrist break. Currently looking for someone to repair it. Any info appreciated!
Would love to purchase if you’re interested in selling! Will be for display only so not too worried about usable condition.

Latest posts

Back