• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Is the black powder revolver industry dying out?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some dealers on Gun Broker are now requiring that all cap and ball revolvers be sent to an ffl and state that it is due to the fact they they can be fitted with a cartridge conversion cylinder.

Wonder if those dealers are gonna keep checking in with the buyers and make sure they don't get conversions for them !! 🤣 Do they not understand that you can change just about ANY cap gun to a cartridge shooter?

That's why Ruger discontinued thei Old Army revolvers. They were afraid of getting sued if someone used one with a cartridge conversion cylinder for illegal purposes.

First time I've ever heard that one!! Don't think that's it though.

The Conversion cylinders they can keep. If i wanted that i would have a Modern .41 mag n be done with it. For protection we use a pump shotg**. I really enjoy shooting my 1860 when i take it out in back yard target range.

You got a .41 mag for less than $400. 00 ? If you already have an 1860 then you can make it a convertible for less!

Mike

Wonder if those dealers are gonna keep checking in with the buyers and make sure they don't get conversions for them !! 🤣 Do they not understand that you can change just about ANY cap gun to a cartridge shooter?

You got a .41 mag for less than $400. 00 ? If you already have an 1860 then you can make it a convertible for less!

Mike
I guess they feel if it is shipped to an FFL they are no longer responsible and in the loop. One of the bigger sellers on GB that I bought an 1851 from several months ago with no shipping issue now states all black powder revolvers must go to an FFL because of the conversion capability.

I guess they feel if it is shipped to an FFL they are no longer responsible and in the loop. One of the bigger sellers on GB that I bought an 1851 from several months ago with no shipping issue now states all black powder revolvers must go to an FFL because of the conversion capability.
Don’t think the situation will improve either.

Some dealers on Gun Broker are now requiring that all cap and ball revolvers be sent to an ffl and state that it is due to the fact they they can be fitted with a cartridge conversion cylinder.
They’re a seller on this site requiring the same for an Old Army. Pisses me right off. Good men have fought and died for the precious few rights we have left and our so called friends are giving those rights away with nary a second thought. Or if they do think about them they are cowards, plain and simple.

I agree. Fear is contagious and they are all trying to cover themselves against future legislation that may or may not materialize.
Our founding fathers are rolling in their graves. A national disgrace. China will soon eclipse this once great nation and we will deserve to lose our freedom. We will have given it away for temporary safety.

They’re a seller on this site requiring the same for an Old Army. Pisses me right off. Good men have fought and died for the precious few rights we have left and our so called friends are giving those rights away with nary a second thought. Or if they do think about them they are cowards, plain and simple.
You got that right.

Mike
I am older & the S&W model 57 was bought many years ago. That is the point i don't want or need to convert my 1860, i love shooting my capnball as it is.

I will second reliability with prime all caps I am at over a thousand made and fired with my only fails in the first two batches.
Changed A couple steps and 100% since then.
I am just about to start doing this. I looked at the instructions that came with the kit - but then I saw someone else who made the caps, put them in a tray that large rifle primers had come in, and then took all of the components including the liquid acetone, mixed it all together and used an eye dropper to fill the caps. 100 caps produced in about an hour. And if you carry them around in that same former large rifle (or pistol) primer container, they don't rattle around and start coming apart.

He had two misfires, one misfire I'm guessing because the liquid priming compound had a bubble in it he did not notice - so that cap went off but without enough power to set off the charge. In another case it seems he just missed a cap as it had nothing in it at all. Personally, I'm good with 98%.

Otherwise you have to mix three powders and use a tiny scoop to fill each cap, then tamp it down, then add a drop of acetone anyway. Too much work.

But so far I have only seen one person do it this way. As it is literally less than half the work, I really want to know if anyone else uses this method.

I have to believe that the percussion cap shortage has put a crimp in sales. When I see them in the case at Cabela's I wonder who spends money on a new gun for which ammunition is difficult, if not impossible, to find?
The cap shortage is 99% of it. Here in California we have to buy cartridge ammunition through an FFL, but black powder guns are somehow not guns and you can get everything through the mail. Both airguns and BP got popular because of that. But then the unavailability of caps stopped it.

I used a scrap piece of plastic and drilled out the holes to hold my caps. I then use a spent small pistol primer with a piece of wire super glued on as the handle delivering perfect amount of Prime all per cap. I then add a drop or two of acetone mixed with single base powder as the binder.
Haven’t tried them on a pistol yet but I did pop a couple on the pavers using a hammer out back and were extra loud creating quite a bright flash.

IMG_6070.jpeg

I think as states are more restrictive in what firearms you can own, BP may start to see a rise. Hollywood also drives sales. If Hollywood comes out with a couple really cool movies like The Revenant and the Netflix series Frontier and there will be a surge of new enthusiast. But overall, when I go to the range all the young people are shooting black rifles and pistols. Which are now banned (new sales) in my state. I notice a lot more of them looking down the line to my guns belching fire and smoke.

Back