• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Iron Pyrite

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pyramid tip is honed down...dog jaw size...

IMG_6573.jpeg

Last edited:
Great for wheellocks (in fact, the only thing you should use), but I think they're too crumbly for a flint lock and wouldn't last very for many shots.
NOTE - Pyrite WILL NOT work for flintlocks, as the flint is hard enough to scrape away the metal from the frizzen to create the spark.

On a wheellock, it is the scraping away of the pyrite that creates the spark.

• Wheellock - Pyrite makes the spark

• Flintlock - Hot metal makes the spark

Just received 2 ‘HomanKit’ 100-gram pyrite bundles from Amazon, at $12 per bundle as delivered. I don’t have Prime and had to pay for shipping.

Each bundle I got only had 5 pieces in each, 4 big, 1 small. The smallest piece marked with 1 red line on the bottom, I will get 2 pieces out of.

The other 4 pieces are much larger, see the one marked w/ 2 red lines. I’ll get 6 good sized useable pieces out of those bigger blocks.

Summary - I expect to get (26) usuable blocks per bundle, @ $12 bundle = 46-cents each. Certainly CHEAPER than English or French cut flints!

12CDFBDF-5409-4E35-8B61-2BEB6D66F0F3.jpeg

Just received 2 ‘HomanKit’ 100-gram pyrite bundles from Amazon, at $12 per bundle as delivered. I don’t have Prime and had to pay for shipping.

Each bundle I got only had 5 pieces in each, 4 big, 1 small. The smallest piece marked with 1 red line on the bottom, I will get 2 pieces out of.

The other 4 pieces are much larger, see the one marked w/ 2 red lines. I’ll get 6 good sized useable pieces out of those bigger blocks.

Summary - I expect to get (26) usuable blocks per bundle, @ $12 bundle = 46-cents each. Certainly CHEAPER than English or French cut flints!

Flint62Smoothie: I just received 2 packs of pyrite Homankits "today" from Amazon....here are pics "unopened" with $.25 for size. There are 18 in pack on the left and 14 on the right side of photo. All beautiful pyrites all about the same, not counting the 1 that looks like a sliver on pack on right side. They are well shaped to be cut in half. Cannot understand why you only received 5 pieces in each in your shipment???? I would return them and re-order! Pronto!
IMG_6580.jpeg

Tripped over these on Amazon...just thought I would give these 2 items a shot as they are pretty cheap...designed for "healing, creating miracles, Feng Shui, Psychic detector, etc., etc."; however beyond all that, these two items spark like crazy when I tried both in my flintlock with a very heavy cock...no crumbling after several strikes! My wheelock is at my son's home....going to put these to use soon.

The Homankit is $8 delivered (I did not find a single one that was too small or large):

"Homankit 100g Tumbled Pyrite Stone Raw Natural Crystals 0.4-0.8 Inches"​

and the Crystal Miracle pyramids below are $11 delivered (NOTE: I ground the point down one illustrated to fit the cock jaws).

"CRYSTALMIRACLE Protective LOT of Nine Golden Pyrite Gemstone Crystal Healing Mini Pyramids Energy Peace Meditation Home Office Gift Reiki FENG Shui Bagua VAASTU Wealth Luck Memory Psychic Deflector"​

Each bag should give you a hundred shots or more in a wheelock. The pyramids must be mixed with an epoxy of some sort...don't know but each pyrite pyramid stone seems solid and sparked well though slightly smaller than the Homan pyrites, perhaps due to the pyramid shape.

View attachment 256661
Good tip! Bet they'll wonder why the big increase in sales, then raise the price! Many on here will want to try!!

I just tried a few pieces that I got … I don’t like the ones I gotthey are WAY too brittle … all they do is fracture and break apart … they will not spark, they EXPLODE!
Flint62Smoothie: Very disappointed in your experience, very, very disappointed! I just cut several Homankit pyrites into correct size pieces with my dremmel ...my son will not be able to return my wheelock for another week or two....after reading your post got angry, I gripped a piece of this cut pyrite (not wrapped in leather) hard with pliers and hit it hard with a heavy steel file...it sparked pretty good the first time, then broke in half (did not crumble) the second with another heavy hit...got another piece and whacked the edge again with the heavy file...sparked, first and second time, sparked 3rd time then then really hit it hard...the piece broke in half. I know that is not the same as in in the wheel-lock and I was hitting it pretty hard with the heavy steel file. I now have 4 Homankit packs and 1 pyramid pack...again, very disappointed in your experience!
You mentioned you bought 2 packs...did you try a piece from the second pack?
Note: With a magnifying glass, sometime I can somewhat make out the grain in the side of a pyrite stone. I have no clue if with or against the grain will be more susceptible to crumbling. I may try experimenting? Anyone have a thought?

Fragile? As in while cutting or when using?
Would different groove patterns make a difference? More slots? Less slots?
Is it from the pyrite hitting the wheel hard that causes the shatter?
Please tell!

Fragile? As in while cutting or when using?
Using! Have 5 wheelies here … only 4 operable at the moment. The slices I cut (no ‘grain’ visible to the eye) are brittle …

Fragile as in complete explosive FRACTURE of the piece at the wheel contact, sometimes the entire piece … very disappointed!

And yet they shoot ‘crumblies’ great, see here for more:

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/fyi-‘crumbly’-pyrite-works-in-a-wheelock.142486/

Last edited:
Using! Have 5 wheelies here … only 4 operable at the moment. The slices I cut (no ‘grain’ visible to the eye) are brittle …

Fragile as in complete explosive FRACTURE of the piece at the wheel contact, sometimes the entire piece … very disappointed!

And yet they shoot ‘crumblies’ great, see here for more:

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/fyi-‘crumbly’-pyrite-works-in-a-wheelock.142486/
Flint62Smoothie: Please check your private messages...offering some pyrites for you to try

Back