• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Iron Pyrite

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Tripped over these on Amazon...just thought I would give these 2 items a shot as they are pretty cheap...designed for "healing, creating miracles, Feng Shui, Psychic detector, etc., etc."; however beyond all that, these two items spark like crazy when I tried both in my flintlock with a very heavy cock...no crumbling after several strikes! My wheelock is at my son's home....going to put these to use soon.

The Homankit is $8 delivered (I did not find a single one that was too small or large):

"Homankit 100g Tumbled Pyrite Stone Raw Natural Crystals 0.4-0.8 Inches"​

and the Crystal Miracle pyramids below are $11 delivered (NOTE: I ground the point down one illustrated to fit the cock jaws).

"CRYSTALMIRACLE Protective LOT of Nine Golden Pyrite Gemstone Crystal Healing Mini Pyramids Energy Peace Meditation Home Office Gift Reiki FENG Shui Bagua VAASTU Wealth Luck Memory Psychic Deflector"​

Each bag should give you a hundred shots or more in a wheelock. The pyramids must be mixed with an epoxy of some sort...don't know but each pyrite pyramid stone seems solid and sparked well though slightly smaller than the Homan pyrites, perhaps due to the pyramid shape.

IMG_6568.jpeg

5/8 x 5/8"x1/2" to the top of the pyramid. Like I mentioned, I ground down the point of the pyramid. It will be a while as my son lives in another city...he borrowed it for a gun club meeting. Perhaps cheap enough to try a bag of each?

Flint62Smoothie: Looks like about 18 bulk in the Homan bag and 8 in the Pyramid bag...the pyramids are individually wrapped to make sure their "healing Pyrite miracles" are fresh! You can see the bags in post #1. I just ordered another 2 bags of Homan and 1 bag of pyramids. I think the pyramids will outlast 3:1 due to an apparent mix with some kind of Epoxy. The Homankit is pure raw pyrite, no mix. I ground down the tip of the pyramid so it should be a solid fit in the jaws. Hope that did not affect the healing as I need it bad! NOTE: They both appear to spark great for temporary testing in a flintlock; however, though not long enough for the flinter as it is a large lock. It will be a few weeks or more until my wheelock is back home.

Note: If you read the descriptions on the amazon page...it gives the sizes and other types of healings. Also with the pyramids they can be rotated around on all 4 even sides as wear from firing commences. I sparked it several times and noted no wear on the surface. It takes a small piece of pyrite in my wheelock as opposed to my flinter.

I have heard of folks paying $12 for one piece of quality raw pyrite????

Last edited:
O.k fellas looking at my Homankit pyrites in the original post.....how do you cut these buggers in half...as half may be the right size for my wheelock. Out of the 18, maybe I can get 36 out of them, maybe at least 33 as a few may just need trimming down.

O.k fellas looking at my Homankit pyrites in the original post.....how do you cut these buggers in half...as half may be the right size for my wheelock. Out of the 18, maybe I can get 36 out of them, maybe at least 33 as a few may just need trimming down.
I wish I could help but I have no idea how to cut them.

Last edited:
Put the drill in a vise and dribble water over the cutter when cutting. That will lubricate, cool, & clean out the blade while cutting.
At least wear a mask when cutting. Do not want to breath any stone dust.

Stay safe!
William

We used to just pick up pyrite by the handful at old abandoned gold mines in Colorado. The old Buckskin Joe mine had loads just distributed in the scree. In those days (1970,s) we kids all called it Fools Gold. I remember my brothers and I started a mine in the backyard, and we would liberally seed it with iron pyrite. Our younger sisters gleefully believed that we'd hit the jackpot!! So sweet and fun!

That "mine" eventually went back about eight feet into a bank. Our parents got wind of it, examined it, and closed it down and caved it in! It probably was pretty unwise to go tunneling like that as dumb pre-teens!!

Great memories!
Thanks for sharing. When I was a child some children died from a collapsed "sand" cave. We all used to play & dig in it and after that...
Verboten !!!

Yep, Brewer, not too smart! But boy, how much fun we all had!! There were six of us kids getting excited, even tho four of us were in on the prank!!

I have a thin blade diamond wet saw for stone or rocks. Cuts nice flints. Harbor freight also has some mandrel 2" (or so) diamond blades that one can use on a drill.
Hope this helps!
William
https://www.harborfreight.com/diamond-rotary-cutting-discs-5-pk-69657.htmlI will have some in a few days and will cut some and let you know!
Thank you PhDBrewer! I didn't think about those little saws, but actually had these in my Dremel kit! I hate to ask but that leads me to my next question:
How do you hold a +/- 1" rock while the Dremel is in the vise cutting it in half....? Just thought of something...hold less than half the rock in a small plastic spring clip, put the spring clip in the vice and hand hold the Dremel saw with a pot under it to catch the dribbled water on the stone with my free hand? And of course a face mask like you stated plus eye protection!

I'll try this mañana...and report back with a photo; thank you!...hopefully have all my fingers...
With the little pyramid pyrites, will continue using the rotary grinder to hone down the peak. Can't wait to try these on the wheelock.. with 4 equal 5/8" sides, hopefully once in the dog, it will fit into the primer pan without grinding 2 sides. If it does, just rotate it around as it wears. Like mentioned in the original post...it really sparks well in the flintlock...but way too small trying to keep the cock from hitting the frizzen.

Thank you PhDBrewer! I didn't think about those little saws, but actually had these in my Dremel kit! I hate to ask but that leads me to my next question:
How do you hold a +/- 1" rock while the Dremel is in the vise cutting it in half....? Just thought of something...hold less than half the rock in a small plastic spring clip, put the spring clip in the vice and hand hold the Dremel saw with a pot under it to catch the dribbled water on the stone with my free hand? And of course a face mask like you stated plus eye protection!

I'll try this mañana...and report back with a photo; thank you!...hopefully have all my fingers...
With the little pyramid pyrites, will continue using the rotary grinder to hone down the peak. Can't wait to try these on the wheelock.. with 4 equal 5/8" sides, hopefully once in the dog, it will fit into the primer pan without grinding 2 sides. If it does, just rotate it around as it wears. Like mentioned in the original post...it really sparks well in the flintlock...but way too small trying to keep the cock from hitting the frizzen.
I have ordered the pyramid pyrites and am wondering what rotary grinder you use to flatten down the top point?
Also, do you think removing the point will destroy the mystical healing properties of these stones? 😱

I have ordered the pyramid pyrites and am wondering what rotary grinder you use to flatten down the top point?
Also, do you think removing the point will destroy the mystical healing properties of these stones? 😱
PathfinderNC: Just a simple bench grinder. It's an old sears one, has a grinding wheel on one side and polishing on the other....absolutely nothing fancy. I hold the base of the pyramid in my fingers, pointing the point at the grinder. Doesn't take any effort and very little time. I ground down 1/4". The pyramid is only 1/2" in height. Just to let the dog jaws clamp down securely. Thinking about which way to face the bevel as the wheel spins counter-clockwise. NOTE: The mystical healing properties are only enhanced when you get down to the heart of the pyramid, releasing all the happiness into your soul !

Put the drill in a vise and dribble water over the cutter when cutting. That will lubricate, cool, & clean out the blade while cutting.
At least wear a mask when cutting. Do not want to breath any stone dust.

Stay safe!
William
Thanks again PhDBrewer: Held the pyrite in in a spring clamp, put the clamp in a vice and cut with Dremel, dribbling water plus mask as you suggested; and tested, worked perfect..now to complete the job....here is proof:
IMG_6571.jpeg

Now you can clean up your flints as well!
Put on a new edge... take off annoying humps... notch the screw area...
All sorts of possibilities!

Back