• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Iowa buck smashed my round ball

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Leon/Iowa said:
If you are looking for some black powder you can get it at the Bass Pro, in Altoona, not to far from you. They have it, but you half to ask a sales person for it. It is not out on the shelf.
Leon

Thanks. I am going to Bass Pro tonight to take the kids to see santa. I will look for it. I sure wish they carried mot BP rifles! Sometimes they have 1 Traditions Hawken, but that is it. I would like to pick up a .32 cal for some squirrels.

BrownBear- thanks for the pics. Awesome!

Scheel's in Iowa City has a traditions crockett .32. Every time I go there I have to shoulder that gun :rotf:

congratulations to you that is a great buck. an that load an ball done all you asked of it. Id leave it be :bow: :hatsoff: :thumbsup:

I wouldn't change a thing. The load you were using had a lot of body mass to go through. Don't be too concerned if you did not get a pass through. You still hit him with a sledge hammer load. A fifty caliber PRB load was more than enough to bring down that large of an animal that quickly. Be proud of what you have ccomplished. Some modern hunters that I know have no faith in the firearms that we use, and you have shown them that it can be done! :thumbsup:

HH 60

I agree with BrownBear on this. That is the experience I have had with my .50 cal. rifle making a similar shot on a large doe. In my case, my shot was more broadside, so it traveled through less tissue, and was able to exit, giving me two good, parallel blood trails, in addition to the very distinct tracks of the mortally wounded deer to follow.

I think you did well, and at those distances, there is no need to change anything. Congratulations on your successful hunt. :hatsoff:

Lady-Hawk said:
Hi all, I am new on the site. I took my 1st black powder buck yesterday. I shot him on the ground at 30 yards. The ball hit a rib on the way in and one on the way out. It was a quartering away shot. The ball entered 2 ribs from the back. It came out right behind the front leg. The ball was just under the skin. Never broke out. It was smashed up as well. I will post pics.
I was using 70 grains with a .15 patch and .490 round ball. I took a doe with this same set-up last year and the ball went right through her. Any suggestions on if this is normal? Should I up my powder?
Thanks-

103_5941-1.jpg

103_5932-1.jpg

103_5934-1.jpg

103_5912-1.jpg

I woulden't change a thing this is very normal in the Round Ball world.
Be sure to post your hunt on the hunting forum we love to see hunting post.
And the fact your a woman hunter makes it all the better.
:bow:

Congrats on a very nice buck, Lady-Hawk! I took a young buck last Dec. under similar circumstances; approx. 30 yards, quartering towards me. Ball went thru front shoulder and was just under the very bulged hide at opposite ribs. He wheeled and ran about 60 yards and dropped. The recovered ball looked just like yours - flat on one side but not expanded. .535 Hornady ball/85 grains 2f Goex. I'd say it did the job perfectly, as did yours.

Good shot, nice deer. If you do facebook, search Black Duck Buckskinners some of us actually live in Warren county Ia.

No Powder said:
Good shot, nice deer. If you do facebook, search Black Duck Buckskinners some of us actually live in Warren county Ia.
Thanks, I will! My Mom works in Carlisle.

I would say DON'T change anything! :v You got the combination down pat IMHO. Congrats!! :hatsoff:
Dusty :wink:

Latest posts

Back