• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Interesting new or old books?!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone read the books "THE WOODSMAN" and it's sequel, "THE CAPTIVES" both by Don Wright? They are respectively, wound around the French and Indian War and the Revolutionary War dealing with the same main characters, British, French, Native American, Colonials, and military.

Ronjeanson said:
Anyone read the books "THE WOODSMAN" and it's sequel, "THE CAPTIVES" both by Don Wright? They are respectively, wound around the French and Indian War and the Revolutionary War dealing with the same main characters, British, French, Native American, Colonials, and military.
I read the woodsman when I first got back into the sport; ate it up. There needs to be more colonial era novels published. I guess I'd better get started then instead of complaining about it:
"Caleb watched the cool morning fog misting over the valley before him, entranced by the sight, he didn't hear the. . . . " sorry, couldn't resist :redface:

Hey, if you want to read the continuing adventures of Morgan Patterson, I can send you "THE CAPTIVES" as a loan. No late fees :haha: Just send me e-mail with mailing address.

Ronjeanson said:
Hey, if you want to read the continuing adventures of Morgan Patterson, I can send you "THE CAPTIVES" as a loan. No late fees :haha: Just send me e-mail with mailing address.
thanks bud, but no thanks, those stories were great when I was young and dumb, but I'll pay ya to keep 'em where they're at. :rotf:

BTW, I just picked up Rifleman Dodd. I've heard a lot of good things about it and am chomping at the bit to read it.

I just wrote a reply on a different thread in which I pointed to this particular vloume. Read Volume 5 of the Fox Fire series. Great stuff. And real.

I just finished the book "Seedtime on the Cumberland" by Harriet Arnow Simpson.
OOOOO weeee!!!!! everyone should read this one. It tells you everything you need to know about the Middle Ground and much more. I think I'll read it again after all the facts sink in.I found it for 20 buck and I think it's worth twice that much. Now I'm starting "A Pioneer- Thirty Years a Hunter", it's the Philip Tome story . So far it's a great read!

I'm almost through with "The American West" by Dee Brown. It covers the expansion of America to the Pacific through the period of 1803 (Louisiana Purchase) to 1929(the deaths of Charles Goodnight and Wyatt Earp) There are many photos and maps and is a very factual accounting of a number of things, such as the various cattle trails and just what life was like on and off of the trail, the vazrious Indian tribes and their leaders. All in all a facinating book.

Davy said:
Although not black powder per se .. the Peter Capstick books are good uns .. Death in the Long Grass, Death in the Silent Places etc. about African dangerous game hunting .. many stories there about the old ivory hunters. :hatsoff:

Davy
If'n Africa wuz as dangerous as Capstick's stories, mankind could not have evolved there. You'd git et before you were born. :shake:

I just finished reading William Shirer's Rise and Fall of the Third Reich. For anyone with the time and inclination, I highly recommend it. I thought I would take a break from reading about American history, and have long wondered how an uneducated gutter tramp like Hitler could become leader of a country that came with in a hair's breadth of conquering the Western World. And he came so very close that it gives me chills thinking about it. Our world would be very different indeed.

I have started on a book titled " The Transformation of Virginia 1740-1790" by Rhys Isaac. He is an Australian who wrote the book in 1982. It won him the 1983 Pulitzer in History. It is not fast reading & has a great deal of first hand material quoted. Prof. Isaac writes each chapter about some aspect of life (education, religon, property ownership, home life, public events, etc.) in colonial Virginia & how the thinking & attitudes of Virginians changed radically during this period. The book is shaping up to be a great insight into daily life during this period. I wish that I had found it years ago.

Okwaho said:
Skagan said:
Currently, I'm reading Unredeemed Captive by Demos. I've had the book for years and am just now getting around to reading it in its entirety.

Skagan,I have long been fascinated with captivity accounts and the book"Unredeemed captive" about Eunice Williams by John Demos is one of my two favorites, the other being the account of Mary Jemison,"The White Woman of the Genesee".The story of Eunice Williams is truly poignant and shows us another side to the image of captive white women so often presented by[url] Hollywood.In[/url] February I will be at Deerfield,Mass. for the reenactment of the pull back of the French and Indians after their highly successful raid on February 29,1704.We did this event in 2004,the 300th aniversary and I am looking foward to repeating the raid next February.We fought in the snow in 2004 and hopefully we will do so this time as well.
Tom Patton

in the hands of the senecas by walter edmonds

walter edmonds probably already mentioned though

Last edited by a moderator:
not a book but i got in the mail today 1972-1978 editions of muzzle blasts magazine all but 3 still sealed in factory wrapers. looks to be some good reading and omg i envy those prices in the mags ad's

I've been reading Zeisberger's History of the North American Indians in 18th Century Ohio, NY, and PA. It has a lot of interesting little tidbits in there. He mentions, for example, that in his time (he was writing about 1779) the Indians still hunted small game with bows to save powder and that they made a lot of repairs to their rifles and muskets on their own.

I have read THE LAST EXILE by Charles Durham. It is about a Frenchman who leaves society and lives with the Chippewas in 18th c. Canada.
Also, THE WINDS OF AUTUMN by Jim R. Woolard. It is about 1790's Kentucky, about 2 brothers and their search for their sister, a Shawnee captive.

Voices From The Wilderness, edited by Thomas Froncek. It's basically a lot of short sections from personal journals and old accounts: Alexander Henry, Daniel Boone, George Rogers Clark, Davy Crockett, Colter, Jedediah Smith, Bridger... A good introduction to a lot of great characters.

Just order 'Notes on the Settlement and Indian Wars of the Western Parts of Virginia Pennsylvania from 1763 to 1783' by Joseph A. Doddridge.
The first third of the volume captures everyday life on the frontier in essays on the state of the wilderness, weather, beasts and birds, style of dress, furniture and diet, weddings and house warmings, etc. Next comes Doddridge's accounts of warfare along the frontier, beginning with an analysis of the Indian Mode of Warfare and the role played by Native Americans in western Pennsylvania and Ohio during the War of 1763 and Lord Dunmore's War and continuing with the various Indian campaigns during the Revolutionary War, including the author's account of an attack on his father's own fort. The final third of the book consists of an appendix to Doddridge's Notes compiled by his daughter Narcissa.
:hatsoff:

Back