• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Great book: Hunting Expeditions of Oliver Hazard Perry

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m reading a book that I think a lot of folks here would enjoy: “Hunting Expeditions of Oliver Hazard Perry.” Note: this is not the O.H. Perry who was the naval hero of the war of 1812. The author was born in 1817 and his family were early settlers in the Cleveland Ohio region. Perry came from a fairly well to do family of lawyers and businessmen, but he was an avid deer hunter, hunting for sport rather than out of necessity. The book is a journal of a couple dozen hunts Perry made in Ohio and southern Michigan during the years 1836-57, a period when both states were fairly wild and unsettled, and when bear, elk, wolves, and even the occasional moose could still be encountered in the region.

Perry hunted with percussion muzzleloaders, finally settling on a double barreled rifle (47 caliber?) by New York gunmaker Morgan James. Perry’s journals are interesting and detailed, covering not only the events of each day’s hunting, but also the details of his travels (on foot, by sleigh, Great Lakes steamers, and stagecoach) and accommodations (taverns, barns, trapper’s cabins, and wilderness tent camps). It’s an entertaining and very readable book.

The original book was published after Perry’s death in a small edition given to friends and family. The edition I have was published in 1994 by St. Hubert’s Press, and contains a good historical introduction by John Howard. I bought it a number of years ago and I’m just getting around to reading it. A quick search on the forum didn’t turn up any mention of the book; have you guys seen it?

Last edited:
91920400-81AF-4CEE-A609-D1722F483F65.jpeg

Sounds interesting.
I seldom buy anything on-line, but I frequent McKay's Books; that is a large used book store near Chattanooga. They have a good selection of all topics.
I must have over 2000 books here at my home. Mostly classic novels, nature, hunting, fishing, history, and nautical subjects. I really must cut down!
I received a gift card for Books-a-Million for Christmas. ():~)

Looks like a fun read for sure! I recall reading Roosevelt’s Hunting Trips of a Ranchman as a kid and the stories he wove always stuck with me. I will have to look into this one.

Back