• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Installing new hammers on my SXS

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eterry

70 Cal.
Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Between Red River Station and Doans Crossing, Tx.
I drove to The Rifle Shoppe Wednesday and spent several hours talking to Jesse and handling his huge collection of original guns and exact copies he had made from originals.

I went to get replacement hammers for my William Moore shotgun.

He had a pair of Dogs head hammers he had copied from a different William Moore.

He said it's no problem to install them correctly... but this guy is phenomenal. He has much more confidence in my abilities than I do.

Give me some ideas, tips, thoughts about getting this done. The original hammers had been replaced and the ones on it have been brazed, aren't timed properly and don't match.

Thanks.

Btw, these are investment cast from 4140, so they won't need heat treating.

16294370665853330293561928048768.jpg

I did this several years ago with a W. Greener ML replacing both hammers. Just go slow and plan it out. Good thing is that if you mess it up, I am assuming you can buy a couple more hammers.

BE carful with your file, you can cut the corners to quick.

Fleener

I make a small round piece out of a dowel that has a hole drilled in it to fit on the nipple. Then I turn or sand the outside of the dowel so it will fit into the hammer nose. You want a snug fit. It centers the nose on the nipple, as you slowly bend the hammer to fit your tumbler square. Anneal the hammers first! Start with a undersized hole in the hammer, and file only a little at a time. Take a whole weekend to do this with the wife and kids gone. And lay off the beer, you must concentrate on getting a tight fit. Also before I forget, make a small punch that will fit in the tumbler hole , tight fit , with the point sticking outside of the lock plate. Sit your hammer with the dowel on the nipple, and lightly tap the flat side of the hammer with a brass hammer or mallet. That will mark where you need to drill the starting hole in the hammer.

Sorry for the convoluted instructions, a little dog is stealing my wallet and I must catch her…

I forgot, pay close attention to the tumbler position at rest before you fit your hammers . You don’t want the mainspring to slip off the tumbler before the hammer nose hits the nipple. May want to mark the tumbler hole first , then place the tumbler at half cock to fit the hammer. Make sure both hammers are in the same position at half cock, that one is not forwards or backwards from the other.

I think they hammered a broach to make the tumbler holes instead of filing them back years ago

Back