• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Information about BP measures.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've done the same test. I can confirm your results with the adjustable measures. The tapped charge will weigh more. Each measure, even if set to the same setting, will throw a slightly different weight. The larger diameter measures will settle better so the tapped weight is more than if you tapped a smaller diameter measure.

Grenadier1758
It's the same as when I bake... You NEVER TAP down your dry ingredients in a measuring cup! If you do the quantities will be waaaay off, more than needed. Makes sense to me. Tapping will settle the powder causing normally voided areas to now hold powder, thereby adding to the total quantity/weight. Thanks my friend.
Two Feathers

Folks worry way tooooo much.
Well, I guess that depends on your point of view. For years I used an adjustable brass powder measure for all my loads. It was bought at one of the well known vendors, seemed to be of good quality. I assumed it threw charges reasonably close to its scale. I settled on a hunting load for my .54 of 110 grains of 3Fg and shot it for a long time. Several year later I got my first digital powder scale and checked the calibration of all my measures. Here's the results for the one used for the .54 charges:

20 = 25
30 = 36
40 = 45
50 = 60
60 = 73
70 = 86
80 = 97
90 = 109
100 = 123
110 = 135
120 = 145

If worrying about that is way tooooo much, then I'm guilty as charged.

Spence

Guess as long as the rifle is accurate for years being fed it's past diet, I would not worry.

If accurate charge weight is critical, get the digital scale out and go to weighing each one.

One of the members of my gun club was working up a load for his rifle and wanted to check the volume against a scale to see how accurate it was. It was off about 8 grains. Apparently the measure was separated from its valve that was part of a cap for a powder can. Lesson here. Check your new measure against a weight scale to verify it is measuring correctly.

One of the members of my gun club was working up a load for his rifle and wanted to check the volume against a scale to see how accurate it was. It was off about 8 grains. Apparently the measure was separated from its valve that was part of a cap for a powder can. Lesson here. Check your new measure against a weight scale to verify it is measuring correctly.
Done that. 65 gr Goex 2fg in my measure weighs 65 grains on my balance beam scale. Whoda thought??
Walk

Back