• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Info please

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas Red

32 Cal.
Reaction score
We have come across a very interesting piece. If anyone can help with the identification of this would be appreciated. It is a smoothbore. We have not measured the bore yet. But a modern 12 gauge 2 3/4" drops in easily.
detail

detail

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/roadinspector2000/detail?.dir=2302&.dnm=2ed7.jpg&.src=ph
detail

detail

Thanks,
Texas Red

Texas Red,
I cant get access to the photos. Maybe I am not doing it the proper way?
ARILAR :: :thumbsup:

You're actually posting part of a script that points to the photos. This can only be used from within the Yahoo site.

You have to post a direct link to the image or to the Yahoo page where the images can be accessed from.

I suggest using Photo Bucket's free image hosting service.

Cant reach the photos. Feels like when I try to use internet at my office and everything with "weapon" is banned and censured ("waffen" is alright though but who cares) Just joking! ::Dont delete this thread Claude!
ARILAR :: :thumbsup:

Ok guys I think I finally got it right. This is a direct link to my photo album. 10-17 are pics of this unknown BP. The link worked for me I hope it works for you.
web page

Ok, the pics worked. There is a guy here in town that has the local Sporting Goods store that sells these. I am not sure what they are, but could check with him and find out. He has a few of them for sale in fair to almost good condition. Almost sure they are the same thing. Will check tomorrow if i get a chance and see.

The guns were originally designated Model 1867 Infantry Rifle (a tabatiere). They are French models 1853T and 1857 converted to breech loaders and were second-line issue during the Franco-Prussian War (1870-71). From the late 1870's, their .70 caliber bores were reamed out to for use as shotguns. Very many were used up in the African trade where they were given out for Native use. Most will be found with the word "Zulu" stamped on the breech though the Zulu tribe was only one of many who got their hands on these guns. Hope this helps.

Thank you Wes, saves me a trip to the Sporting Goods Store. I knew they were used in Africa, but couldn't remember the rest.

Yep. A Zulu. It's a Snider Breech conversion of a percussion. Yours is missing the firing pin. I have one in condition between the one you have and this one. Rugged, but I never had the nerve to fire it.

2581-1.jpg

2581-3.jpg

Back