• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

ID on French Musket

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sogze

32 Cal
Reaction score
New to the forum. At that stage in life where the parents are moving out of there home of 53 years. My Dad wanted me to have the French musket pictured. I believe it's a Charleville but not 100% sure. I know it's a French proofed flintlock musket, .54 caliber, round barrel, lock plate marked “Delpire A Paris”; fine wood stock with damaged period repair. This gun is in overall good condition. The only markings are the Delpire A Pari, 3 single marks on the underside of the barrel that could not be seen until I took the barrel off the stock and a surname of Cottin on the sling. I know a J . Delpire was a French Armorer for the 7th Regiment Swiss Royal French Guard under Louis XVI. Cottin is a French sur name from southern France so I welcome any and all thoughts and a Hardy Thank you for your input.

Attachments

• IMAG1457.jpg
    IMAG1457.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 213
  • IMAG1456.jpg
    IMAG1456.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 208
  • IMAG1464.jpg
    IMAG1464.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 193
  • IMAG1465.jpg
    IMAG1465.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 206
  • IMAG1461.jpg
    IMAG1461.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 206
  • IMAG1462.jpg
    IMAG1462.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 212
  • IMAG1468.jpg
    IMAG1468.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 201
  • IMAG1469.jpg
    IMAG1469.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 212
  • IMAG1459.jpg
    IMAG1459.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 201
Whatever it is , & my guess is its a Commercial rather than Ordnance, its a very nice musket in exellent condition . If it is 54 cal it suggests a Cadet or some Tiraleer piece
Rudyard

Appreciate the input Rudyard. I took a look at some of the cadet muskets and it does have some similarities to the U.S. Springfield Model 1830 Flintlock Cadet Muskets. Any idea what the 3 marks on the underside mean? I can provide better pictures. I took these 4 years ago with a older camera.

I'll try and upload some better pics but it says Delpire A Paris
It's definitely not a Charleville as it doesn't match any I've seen, the comb and wrist are definitely different. It could have been based on the Charleville but was only issued to certain home regiments. As for the three marks, that's anybody's guess.

Back