• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I’ve Been Busy-Turkey Season is Coming

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is a busy part of the year for call makers. With duck and deer seasons behind, I have been swamped with the diaphragms, box calls, scratch boxes and trumpets! I try to keep a few on hand in case somebody wants one already made instead of a custom build. Here are a few that I finished up recently! I hope you enjoy the pictures

Do we have any other call makers on board here? Post some pictures for everyone to enjoy!!

Attachments

• IMG_2576.jpeg
    IMG_2576.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2575.jpeg
    IMG_2575.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2574.jpeg
    IMG_2574.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2562.jpeg
    IMG_2562.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2559.jpeg
    IMG_2559.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2554.jpeg
    IMG_2554.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2537.jpeg
    IMG_2537.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2536.jpeg
    IMG_2536.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2533.jpeg
    IMG_2533.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2527.jpeg
    IMG_2527.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
What are those trumpet calls?
I do love Trumpet calls. The ones pictured are curly maple, Bocote and African Blackwood. I am making a few right now with some acrylic-like plastic. They sound great! Trumpet calls will test your patience early on as you start making them but once you kind of figure them out you can get pretty consistent with their sounds.

After looking at the picture again, from left to right:
White Oak burl with some crazy grain
Curly Maple....aquafortis
Curly Maple....alcohol dyed
Bocote
African Blackwood
Bocote
Zebra Wood
Lignum Vitae....superb wood for a trumpet!

All but the second Bocote has delrin mouthpieces, that one has a clear acrylic one.

Last edited:
I appreciate the compliment! Our birds may be rebounding also, there has been a very long dry spell here!
I’m lucky to have a fairly healthy population, but they have such a wide range. Takes a lot more land than I have to hold them year round. Hadn’t seen any since December, now they’re moving back in.

I’m lucky to have a fairly healthy population, but they have such a wide range. Takes a lot more land than I have to hold them year round. Hadn’t seen any since December, now they’re moving back in.
I grew up in Northwest Mississippi. Had a buddy come to Arkansas this weekend to fill up on calls for their season. I wish the biologists would figure out this decline in birds, its gettin depressing!

I grew up in Northwest Mississippi. Had a buddy come to Arkansas this weekend to fill up on calls for their season. I wish the biologists would figure out this decline in birds, its gettin depressing!
I hear you, while my numbers are still healthy I don’t see the numbers I saw 8-9 years ago.

It's crazy up here in Vermont I feel like the birds are super active, the toms were on hens yesterday . Come May first the breeding and strutting has slowed to a scant few birds. I guess I am just complaining that the season needs to start earlier.

I would always hear the first gobble of the year from my back deck, as I would see a small local flock in the Ag fields back there, they would even come into the yard. They disappeared a few years ago and haven't been back. I'm hoping they rebound up this way.

Back