• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hy-Hunter Zouave

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a chance to pick up a Hy-Hunter Zouave, but can't find much info on them. I know they are an early import, but just how good are they? Up to the quality of a Navy Arms? If anyone owns one of these let me know how well you like it. Thanks!

I do not know anything about Hy-Hunter Zouaves, but they were probably made in Italy. The Zouave replicas were the first mass-produced CW replicas from Italy, and I heard that it was chosen over other CW rifles and muskets because of all the "pretty" brass.

I also have a second one that is marked "Italy" on top of the barrel, and the triggerguard is stamped "Sears, Roebuck and Company." :shake: I understand that they were made by Antonio Zoli in the '60's.

The only difference I see from the 50's or 60's replicas and today's replicas is the quality of the wood...today's guns usually have walnut stocks, and the earlier Italian models have some sort of generic hardwood with a colored varnish applied...still shoot good, though.

I had a friend bring me back one from a midwest gunshow that had the original 1959 proof certificate that indicates that the gun is proofed to "alla pressione di Kg. 620 per cm2," by the Banco Nazionale Di Prova Deile Armi Da Fvoco Partatili (whatever that means :hmm: ). :v

By the way...how much are they asking?

Its not an outright sale, Its a trade for another rifle. The only thing I've found so far is that some have brazed bolsters instead of threaded.

Coehornboy,
Do you use a patched round ball or a minnie ball?
Thanks
Jerry

Jerry: I cast my own minie's w/ a Lee 500 grain hollow-based mold. I have never shot any of my .58 rifles wih round ball.

the zoli zouaves are considered by most to be excellent. quite a few folks in the n-ssa prefer the zoli zouaves to the modern euroarms replicas. they are typically well made. they balance muzzle-heavy, but work well for off-hand shooting. i have fired two different zolis, and they were both well constructed and accurate (for italian guns). the finish on the stock is a little ugly in my opinion, but you can always refinish the stock.

you might want to peruse the n-ssa message board for more information on zolis. [url] www.n-ssa.org[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back