• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Howdy from Texas

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stormrider51

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Found this forum and decided to read a bit. I'm 56 years old and have been shooting smokepoles since I was 6. My father made ours because there was no such thing as a factory made frontstuffer in the 1950's. I got my start as a gunsmith sanding stocks in his shop. Nowadays I work mostly on modern guns but I never had much use for anything other than a muzzleloader for hunting. Well, up until a few years ago when my eyesight got to a point where I can't see open sights as well as I need to anyway. I couldn't bring myself to get a rifle with a scope so I went even more primitive. Now I hunt with a recurve bow.

Storm

Welcome to the camp Stormrider51, you will find yourself in good company here.

As to the fading eyesight, might give consideration to a smoothbore minus the rear sight. My eyes went south on me, but have found after a little familiarization usage, my fusil de chasse can be very accurate with round ball by looking over the barrel, not down it. (sure eliminates some of the blur for me)

Storm,
Welcome to the MLF,great having you with
us. As a gunsmith you should have a lot
to contribute and we hope you will do so.
Visit often.
I am snake-eyes:hatsoff:

Welcome to the forum neighbour. :hatsoff: Got the eyesight thing going also. I went to a peep sight and had a great year hunting season this year.

Welcome Stormrider51 to the MLF;Iam 55 yrs. old & Iam very interested in building my own rifle. I would like to pick your brain someday. Hope you enjoy the MLF & visit often.

judge t :thumbsup:

Thank you one and all. A little update: I had Lasik surgery on my eyes and if all goes as well as I hope I'll be back to shooting a rifle soon. I can't wait!

Storm

Welcome aboard Storm ... anuther Texian is allus welcome! Yeehaw!!! :hatsoff:

Davy

Welcome to the forum. You Texans are sure plentiful here. (In a good way!) :thumbsup:

Halito Ah-Ma-Chamee, ( Hello Friend) from the Hill Country! This is a great site where you can learn many things!

Back