• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How do I get Pine Sol residue out of bore?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello All,
This one has me really confused. I usually clean with windex until my wife put some Pine Sol in a windex bottle and didn't tell me. Yes, I was in a hurry and tired. Anyway, I had rust develop within a few dayes so shot the gun and cleaned with T/C bore cleaner, lube with Balistol. I get rust in a day or two so shot the gun again,, clean with windex and lube with Balistol. Still rust developing so shot gun again, clean with windex, lube with Breakfree and now rust within 24 hours. Help!

You need a rust inhibiting lubricant such as Barricade, Boeshield to stop the rust. Wipe the bore a few times with a rust remover such as Eezox. Use rubbing alcohol to remove oils before shooting.

Pine sol is mostly water soluble, so rinsing with water should remove most of it. If rust forms, then it is more a problem of what is used after to lube or protect the bore.

Hello All,
This one has me really confused. I usually clean with windex until my wife put some Pine Sol in a windex bottle and didn't tell me. Yes, I was in a hurry and tired. Anyway, I had rust develop within a few dayes so shot the gun and cleaned with T/C bore cleaner, lube with Balistol. I get rust in a day or two so shot the gun again,, clean with windex and lube with Balistol. Still rust developing so shot gun again, clean with windex, lube with Breakfree and now rust within 24 hours. Help!
I swab my bores with a basic moose milk mixture which has Pine Sol in it. Once I dry the bore I apply 3 in 1 oil or Balistol as a rust preventative. I have NEVER had a rust problem with this procedure. It ain't the Pine Sol causing your rust problem.

Yea, Pine Sol should come out fairly easily; water & scrub. Pine Sol Is a cleaner and's not supposed to actually "coat" a surface?? As has been suggested get a heavyweight protector; Barricade, BreakFree CLP, etc.

Back