• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How big can i go?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dinelli.0614

32 Cal.
Reaction score
this is the plan. im building a half stock PA rifle i want it to have interchangeable barrels one .50 cal rifle the other smooth bore. im gonna use a 1" strait barrel. my ? is how big of a caliber can i go in a smooth bore with a 1" barrel? im only gonna be using shot out of it.

I think 20 ga. is about the largest you will find. The good news is that with a half-stock you can turn the forward portion round and tapered to get the weight and balance of a real smoothbore. Track of The Wolf or Jack Garner can provide such a barrel.

dinelli.0614 said:
this is the plan. im building a half stock PA rifle i want it to have interchangeable barrels one .50 cal rifle the other smooth bore. im gonna use a 1" strait barrel. my ? is how big of a caliber can i go in a smooth bore with a 1" barrel? im only gonna be using shot out of it.

That will depend on how the forward section of the barrel is going to be secured to the stock, if it is to use a wedge pin system like T/C uses, then you need to keep the bore small enough so you don't create a weak point in the barrel where the dovetail is cut for the slotted underlug.

If the barrel is to have an underlug staple welded on for the retaining pin then you could possibally go a little larger without fear of bursting a barrel at the wedge/pin section.

Keep in mind about screw depth too when fixing any hardware to the barrel that requires them.

Back