• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hot rodded my lock!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After getting a custom rifle with a big lock(that was usable as it was), I took the advice of the Appalachian Lock Hacker(inside joke) and added a Chambers Early Germanic mainspring. It required fitting the mainspring pin. You can either drill out the hole or fit the pin to the hole. I chose to fit the pin to the hole using Harbor freight diamond files to make it reversible. I also ordered some musket flints to compensate for the geometry and to allow striking the whole frizzen face. I test fired it yesterday with great results. The hammer is much snappier, and the big flint showers sparks in the pan. Lock time decreased significantly. Some minor inletting was required to fit the new spring in the inlet.

P_20220407_161759.jpg

I didn't say it was necessary. Jim'a lock is a nice, smooth lock, but I had nothing to lose trying the new spring. I decided to try it based on the recommendation of a friend quite knowledgeable in the lock area. So I tried it, and it made a better working lock. Because I was getting the beginning of a high strike line in the frizzen face with the recommended flint size, the musket flint was my idea in an attempt to change the strike angle geometry. Even if the flint hangs out a bit, that also helped. This is just my personal experience as a tinkerer.

Last edited:
Back