• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hope I did you guys proud

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparsons

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Got to go to the range again today, twice this week and I am lovin it. Met an elderly gentleman there who was shooting a 9mm. He was not happy with his pattern at it seemed to be all over the place. He commented on my shooting and I assured him I was not quite average. When I asked him if he ever heard "aim small miss small", he said he thought he had at one time. I told him the guys on the Muzzleloading forum use it all the time to help guys improve their accuracy. I suggested he place a small x or players card, thats what I was using, in the middle of his human figure. I explained that he would automatically focus on the smaller target and his groups would or should come closer together as his focus now would be on the smaller X or what ever he chose to use. We talked some and he thanked me and assured me next time he would use something to make him "aim small miss small". I told him it sounded so simple and easy but it really did work and it helped me. So thanks guys for enabling me to help someone else. :thumbsup:

"Aim small ,Miss small".Good advice,it works too.There a few of them old Sayings but I can't remember them right now,a little riddle about aiming low on Bright sunny days....Was the old guy in Law Enforcement?Human shapes are they the common Target at recreational ranges?
Just curious. :v

Human targets are quit common at the range I shoot at. [Izaak Walton] :)

not sure about whether he was in law enforcement. He did mention that he went to walk through shoots that required the shooting from both left and right hands. He was shooting yesterday with holds of both hands at once and then single handed shots. The big point hits were to the head and chest area, in and around the heart. I would guess him to be in his mid 60's.

[quote=HalftailThere a few of them old Sayings but I can't remember them right now,a little riddle about aiming low on Bright sunny days.

"Lights up, sights up", for adjustable sights.

Human shape targets, even one's where it takes some imagination to see the "human shape" are banned at our range....probably from fear of the media, "they're training killers there!" Hank

Hank: Someone needs to retire the sheep who seem to be in charge, and change the rules so members can know what its like to be the sheepdog. There is nothing evil about shooting at human shaped targets, and you are not training anyone to be a killer any more than just allowing someone to shoot a gun in the first place.

And, When was killing someone a crime? That is what is going on in England, where its now a crime to defend yourself with a gun, if you are attacked, even in your own home? Is that what the club leaders want? Do they really think the public will support the " Press " if someone tries to make a big stink about shooting at Human targets?

We teach self defense courses on our ranges and use silhouette targets all the time. We encourage the Police to hold PPC matches, which are open to the public, and use the standard silhouette targets. The same for IPSC, and IDPA shoots. We want shooters to know how to shoot to STOP someone who is endangering their life, or the life or lives of some other innocent person. Self Defense is still the law in all 50 states, and its a moral duty for people to do so. How can you expect people to do that correctly if they don't practice shooting at a human shaped target???

I know I am preaching to the choir, but my purpose is to put the argument succinctly into words that all of us can use when confronting the idiots of the press whose only interest is to stir the pot and see if they can't make someone " Look Guilty" for doing something that is both legal and moral.

The Press is like a young child with a sand box: Every once in awhile, he decides to throw the sand out of the box just because he can. He is irresponsible, fails to consider consequences of his actions, and acts simply out of the pure joy he derives from exercising his power. That is why we have a newspaper in Ohio publishing the names and addresses of people holding Concealed Handgun permits in its circulation area. The act serves no public purpose, and in fact endangers lives. But the paper CAN do it, in exercising its power, so it does. To hell with the consequences.

The Sheep have to stop being what they are, and learn to be at least sheep dogs, if not wolves. Never give the Press one inch, nor any of the other anti-freedom forces of evil that hold power in this country. Gun Control is not about GUNS! Its about CONTROL! Never- NEVER- give an inch. It only emboldens the creeps!

And you can remind the club officers that silhouette targets are a 20th century invention, popularized by the FBI in training local law enforcement officers. Most military training up until WWII was done ---- you guessed it ----- shooting BULLSEYE targets!!!

trent/OH said:
"Lights up, sights up", for adjustable sights.

That's it!I got a friend that used to be a Sniper with the Canadian Military(I know...Ha ha..What Military)And he had many sayings pertaining to shooting.For the record he was on Awsome shoot to boot!

I want to say, "Aw, come on guys," since I was a newspaperman most of my life. However, I have to admit there's some truth in what you say, probably more so now than when I retired, which was a while back. However, I write an outdoor column for a small-town weekly newspaper where guns are not looked upon as the devil's toys. Your proximity to Chicago may color your views. After all, since Chicago virtually banned all handguns there hasn't been a murder, has there? There are sensible folk and sensible newspapers in the vast areas of our country where there are no big cities. graybeard

Halftail said:
Grizzly said:
Izaak Walton.....That's a shooting club? :confused:

No. The Izaak Walton League of America is a conservation organization, consisting mainly of hunters and fishermen. For that reason, they do maintain shooting ranges for their hunting members.

Steve

Hey, Halftail, my son (who is a qualified Army sniper himself) says that the longest shot on record against an "animate" target was performed by a Canadian sniper in Afghanistan. Range to target was over 2000 mtrs, and only took one shot!

Them boys can shoot!

Actually, their old targets were from a photo of John Dillinger. Most agencies now use the UniCor TranStar targets in various sizes. That company would also be known as Prison Industries. Almost as good as having them make license plates!

CS

Back