• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Homespun poorboy hunting pouch.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Yanta

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I has been awhile since I posted any of my homespun stuff, so I thought I would break the dry spell. After spending many evenings looking through Madison Grant' Kentucky Rifle Hunting Pouch book I decided to make one.

The heart shaped hunting pouch is made from soft chap leatherand sewn with hemp. I free sliced the flap edges for a ragged look. The leather surfaces were airbrushed with different leather dyes to give a used, but not distressed, broken in look. I fired up the forge and formed a buckle for the 1 5/8 inch strap. The pouch measures 8 1/2 inches wide and 9 inches deep. To add some protection from the weather the flap measures 10 inches wide and 10 inches long.

IMG_0588.jpg

The powderhorn is also a simple poorboy about 12 inches along the curve. The plug is red oak. The forged strap shackle was secured to the horn by soaking to soft deer rawhide strips in hot hide glue. When ever you mix rawhide or sinew with hide glue you get something like epoxy fiberglass only mountain made. The straps are brain and smoke tanned moose buckskin. The powder spout plug is made from a broken and broomed deer antler tip.

IMG_0590.jpg

The roach belly knife is forged from 1/8" 1095 high carbon steel. The half tang blade measures 4 7/8 inches long and over length is 9 inches. The handles are thin scales of moose bone with 6 iron pins. The rawhide sheath is sinew sewn and attached to the the back of the pouch.

IMG_0591.jpg

IMG_0589.jpg

With the exception of the drill and air brush, the only tools used were hammer, anvil, forge, file, awl and knife.

Joe

Thanks for your comment Trent, I actually wanted to post this under Shooting Accessories forum and after I posted it came up under Accoutrements. :confused:

To your question, broomed to be battered back, not broken, sorta like the end of a broom handle after it has been used for every chore except being a broom handle.

Maybe a picture will save 3000 more words here.

IMG_0593.jpg

Thanks Trent, hope you had a nice Thanksgiving.

Joe

Yes, that looks very authentic...like something you'd expect to see a real woodsman carrying :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

That's a great looking set, but the knife and sheath especially grabbed my attention. What a great job! They look like they could easily have been a cleaned up original!

Very nice pouch..something I imagine a real woodsman would carry

Back