• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Homemade shooting pouch conditioner

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Last weekend I was in the shooting pouch making class put on by Jeff 'PoBoy' Luke. I came away with incredible knowledge and a super nice bag. Yesterday I gave the bag a second coat of dye to even out the color after the bag had dried. Jeff recommended a commercially available beeswax/bears oil conditioner/finish. After looking at the prices, a small tin was almost $9 plus shipping. I thought I can make that. I have medical grade white beeswax pellets and bears oil. I made a nice tin of that pouch finish conditioner that turned out great. I bet that tin will last years for bags, knife sheaths, etc. 4 teaspoons of beeswax pellets to 7 teaspoons of bears oil. (I bet it will make a darned good patch lube !) Glad to save some money and make something useful for myself.
Ohio Rusty ><>
leather coating.JPG
dye day.JPG

Last weekend I was in the shooting pouch making class put on by Jeff 'PoBoy' Luke. I came away with incredible knowledge and a super nice bag. Yesterday I gave the bag a second coat of dye to even out the color after the bag had dried. Jeff recommended a commercially available beeswax/bears oil conditioner/finish. After looking at the prices, a small tin was almost $9 plus shipping. I thought I can make that. I have medical grade white beeswax pellets and bears oil. I made a nice tin of that pouch finish conditioner that turned out great. I bet that tin will last years for bags, knife sheaths, etc. 4 teaspoons of beeswax pellets to 7 teaspoons of bears oil. (I bet it will make a darned good patch lube !) Glad to save some money and make something useful for myself.
Ohio Rusty ><>
View attachment 322617View attachment 322616
Very nice pouch!

Nice pouch , and try the conditioner for Patch lube. Don't slop it on thick. Squeegee it off the patch w/ a finger on a smooth surface. You might be very happy. Been using this for a long time.

Last edited:
Yet another thing I’m doing wrong, I made my pouch in the mid 70s and have never used a conditioner on it. Still using it and expecting it to last for as long as I need it.

Back