• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hiding in buffalo carcass?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whiskey

40 Cal.
Reaction score
There is a story of a man who hid from Indians in a buffalo carcass. I cannot remember where or when I first heard that. Is that from a work of fiction, movie or some primary source material.
Anybody know?

Hugh Glass crawled into a buffalo so that the maggots of the rotting buffalo would clean his wounds from a grizzly bear attach.

whiskey said:
There is a story of a man who hid from Indians in a buffalo carcass. I cannot remember where or when I first heard that. Is that from a work of fiction, movie or some primary source material.
Anybody know?
I believe several of the Little Big Horn "survivors" claimed to have escaped that way.

selocta.gif

How bout a hog. Selocta later a Creek chief, son of Chief Chinabee, wore the carcass of a large hog when he sneaked out of Fort Talladega.

Fort Talladega at the time was a Creek Indian stockade being besieged by the Redstick faction of the Creek Nation.

Selocta in the hog skin was able to pass through the slumbering Redsticks and get word to Andrew Jackson's newly arrived army across the Coosa River.

A days march later was the Battle of Talladega in Nov. 1813.

whiskey said:
Anybody know?
It's both - Hugh Glass is just one of a few that I (vaguely) remember as actual happenings - as for fiction Terry Johnston used this scenario in one of his novels (Carry the Wind maybe? if not one of the sequels) and IIRc Cat Brules did so in one of the novels by Harry Coombs

In one of the "Spanish Bit" books by Don Coldsmith where a couple that hid in a buffalo carcass.
I got a chance to meet the man and when he was alive he'd do research before writing a story so that he'd have almost everything set in the right area and time line.

And we cannot forget Rob Roy crawling into that stench riddled maggot infested rotted steer carcass to avoid capture and execution!

I think he was referring to the fact that, in later years, there were more people claiming to be LBH survivors than were actually killed in the battle.

The only one who might have a claim was Frank Finkle--he only came out with his story late in life, and seemed rather embarrassed about it. No heroics, he claimed his horse was wounded (he was wounded as well) and ran away with him.
http://www.amazon.com/Sole-Survivor-Examination-Finkel-Narrative/dp/0879701579

The book is worth a read, although I might be biased as I know the author. By the way, I'm astounded at the price---and I gave away my copy to my father in law.

OP: As far as surviving in a buffalo, I think that was answered when you posted the question elsewhere on this forum. The only thing I could add would be Luther S. 'Yellowstone' Kelly's narrative. As I recall, he killed a buffalo as a blizzard was coming in. He skinned the beast so he could cover up with the hide, the hide froze overnight and was like a furry barn door lying on top of him, he had to shove the thing off to crawl out from under it.

Rod

Last edited by a moderator:
Good Morning Whiskey,

Wow! This an old post, but perhaps I have the answer to your question. Here is the short version.

Your story is correct. Research the story of the Indian fight at Beecher's Island. A group of civilan Indian Fighters fought off an over-whelming mass of Cheyennes and killed the famous Cheyenne warchief Roman Nose. The group was all armed with Spencer carbines.

Two men volunteere to slip away at night, on foot, to try to reach a US Army fort for help. During one of the days, they were almost discovered by a passing group of Indians. They hid inside a buffalo carcus and escaped detection.

Sometime during the 1950's a Hollywood produced a movie based on this incident. I cannot remember the name of the lead actor, but can clearly see his face. Think his name was something like Guy Madison.

My Respects to All,

John L. Hinnant

"God and Texas"

I honestly do not know if anyone ever did this but I have heard of stories where two people have hidden in a buffalo to escape discovery. Those stories I cannot believe. I have seen a dressed out buffalo and they are big. It is quite believable that a single person of average height for that time could draw himself up enough to hide unseen inside a gutted buffalo but unless they are midgets, two adults could not fit inside a gutted buffalo. Those stories of two adults hiding inside a buffalo are, in my humble opinion, pretty much :bull: But I wasn't there, so this is just my opinion.

Ok, I'll date myself !!!

Robert Mitchum in "Blood on the Moon" ....

In the Book, he kill's the Buff to survive the cold but after he crawl's in, the carcus close's up and he is stuck inside forever..

End of story !!!

Ed

In the sequil to "Blood On The Moon" called " :bull: On The Moon", he waits until Spring, the buffalo thaws out and he crawls out to freedom. :blah: :haha:

Thus endeth the refrain !!! :v

Good Evening Billnpatti,

Before you close your mind, reseach the Beecher Island Indian Fight and the killing of the Cheyenne War Chief Roman Nose.

That fight happened; that is historical fact, no bs.

My respects to all,

John L. Hinnant

"God and Texas"

Back