• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

HELP!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulF70

40 Cal
Reaction score
Someone stop me from buying one of the Pedersoli .50 double rifles Midway has in stock.

Tell me it's too heavy. I don't need another gun. My modern inlines are better anyway.

Help.

Ok, I'll help. I hated mine, as the barrels were nowhere near regulated. I'm talking 18" difference at 50 yards. The individual barrels were accurate enough, shooting nice groups, but there was not enough sught adjustment to get them evem remotely close to the same point of impact. You might get lucky, or you night not. But since Midway has a strict policy on not accepting returns of muzzleloaders, I wouldn't count on luck at what they are selling for now. Admittedly I purchased mine in the 1990's, perhaps they are better now, but I wasn't impressed. Sold mine at a loss years ago.

Ok, I'll help. I hated mine, as the barrels were nowhere near regulated. I'm talking 18" difference at 50 yards. The individual barrels were accurate enough, shooting nice groups, but there was not enough sught adjustment to get them evem remotely close to the same point of impact. You might get lucky, or you night not. But since Midway has a strict policy on not accepting returns of muzzleloaders, I wouldn't count on luck at what they are selling for now. Admittedly I purchased mine in the 1990's, perhaps they are better now, but I wasn't impressed. Sold mine at a loss years ago.

I just recalled I think I read a post from you, or the same account from someone else, about a year ago, which is what stopped me then.

Yeah, that's a big problem. Kind of a deal-breaker.

I just recalled I think I read a post from you, or the same account from someone else, about a year ago, which is what stopped me then.

Yeah, that's a big problem. Kind of a deal-breaker.
One guy had a problem with one over 20 years and that's a deal breaker?

Someone stop me from buying one of the Pedersoli .50 double rifles Midway has in stock.

Tell me it's too heavy. I don't need another gun. My modern inlines are better anyway.

Help.
If you plan to use it as a hunting gun, check the regulations where you will be hunting. I’ve seen some regs stating that muzzleloaders used for big game must be a single barrel. But even if not legal for hunting, that wouldn’t stop me from getting the gun if I wanted it.

One guy had a problem with one over 20 years and that's a deal breaker?

I mean it is if it's a general problem. And like he said Midway doesn't allow returns for any reason.

So, expensive lottery, unless I have a lot of other counter-feedback.

Doubles are legal where I hunt.

To scratch the itch I might be better off getting a 20 ga shotgun next to go with my 12 ga Pedersoli.

Not so sure about accuracy problem. Someone I used to work with had one in 58 caliber. Only saw him shoot it once, but he was able get a 4” group at 100 yards firing both barrels three times (six shot group). Fired it a few times myself, thought it shot great, easily busting clay pigeons at 50 yards, but I didn’t care for the weight. Seemed to be on the wrong side of 10 pounds. If not for the weight I would probably own one.

That's the fear that's always steered me away from getting one (that and the price). I love the look of them, and I love side by sides in general, but properly regulating a double gun is an art form.

All my rifles are .50. I have two percussion guns and three inlines, all .50. So it would take a big motivation for me to buy another caliber because I have to buy different bullets, patches, brushes, swaps, and more.

Is a .58 better than a .50 for killing deer under 100 yards?

I'll answer my own question: A .58" hole is better than a .50" hole.

Trajectory difference will be negligible.

Recoil will be tougher but with a 10lb rifle doesn't matter much.

Absolutely!
But the 54 is already 4 parts better then the 50.
Trouble is the 58 is 4 parts less better then the 54 (it's too big)
(There is a point of diminishing returns)
So,, just sell 3 of the 50's, get the 54 and all the gear ya need for it,, simple.
:dunno:
p.s., I'd sell All the 50's, but you might as well have something to use all that excess useless gear on,,

Last edited:
Back