• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help me identify Navy 36

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bakerj

32 Cal.
Reaction score
A friend has asked me for help identifying the manufacturer of an older Colt 1851 Navy. It has a brass frame, backstrap and trigger guard. It has a stamping on the right side of the frame, barrel and cylinder that says 'PN'with a small logo over it that looks like a star in a circle. Beside that logo in the frame in larger letters is XX7. The bottom of the backstrap has a nearly rectangular logo that looks like a G with a B inside it. To the right of that is stamped Italy and capital letters 'FIE'. There is a 5 digit serial number on the bottom of the barrel (445XX) but that is not stamped in a corresponding position on the brass frame (unlike my new Uberti 1860). My new Uberti has the same PN with a star logo over it so could the Navy be an older Uberti. Another question, on the Navy the barrel is loose to the frame with the wedge all the way in. Is there and easy fix for this such as an oversized wedge? The gap is probably more than 60 thou so I wouldn't want to shoot the gun like this. Will appreciate any help and info.

hawk54 said:
It has a stamping on the right side of the frame, barrel and cylinder that says 'PN'with a small logo over it that looks like a star in a circle.
That's the Italian black powder proof mark. It simply identifies the gun as of Italian manufacture, and the fact that it was proof tested. No particular manufacturer is implied by that mark.
hawk54 said:
Beside that logo in the frame in larger letters is XX7.
Date stamp, identifying the year of manufacture as 1971.
hawk54 said:
The bottom of the backstrap has a nearly rectangular logo that looks like a G with a B inside it. To the right of that is stamped Italy and capital letters 'FIE'.
I don't recognize that stamp.
hawk54 said:
on the Navy the barrel is loose to the frame with the wedge all the way in. Is there and easy fix for this such as an oversized wedge?
The wedge is simply worn out. A new replacement wedge (not oversized) will correct the problem.

FIE = Firearms Import Export. They were a FL based company that imported a lot of lower end guns in the 70's-80's. I don't know whether they are still in business or not. As to the manufacturer it is probably a Pietta or a Zoli but without pics it is hard to know.

Wow, you guys are good and thanks, I'll see if I can get a couple of pics (if I can figure out how upload them to this site)

I've taken three pictures but can't figure out how to attach them. As I look at this screen and type a reply on the left side it says 'post icon', below that 'body' (with expression faces), below that options and lastly topic review- I don't see any prompt or Icon to attach pics??

GB doesn't ring any bells. It's not a Pietta. Pietta is FAP in a diamond. Uberti is a U in an octagon(actually a muzzle with rifling) DGG in a circle is Armi San Paolo now Euroarms. AC in a circle is Armi Chiappa. R.A.G. is Rigarmi. A palm tree is palmetto.
dp in a circle is Pedersoli. That's about the extent of my knowledge. FIE imported the cheapest stuff they could get and there were a lot of small companies making repro revolvers in the 70's

hawk54 said:
I've taken three pictures but can't figure out how to attach them. As I look at this screen and type a reply on the left side it says 'post icon', below that 'body' (with expression faces), below that options and lastly topic review- I don't see any prompt or Icon to attach pics??

You don't upload pics directly to the Forum. You upload to a photo storage site like Photobucket.com (it's free) and insert the file as a link. You just left click on the box that has the image code and you'll see (it's very quick) the words "Copied to Clipboard" in the bottom left corner of your screen. Then, go to the forum and in your post right click and select paste.

Cage

Last edited by a moderator:
You can also post a pic in your message text so you don't have to click on a link to see it. If you use photobucket just copy the image tag and paste it in your message text and the pic will be there. :thumbsup:

Pietta1860.jpg

Okay, Cage Dodger, read your directions, registered with Photobucket and will try this
IMG_2259.jpg

IMG_2261.jpg

Rebel 727- tried to copy to clipboard as you suggest and couldn't get it right- will keep trying. Re your pic of 1860 army- what make is it? I just bought an uberti- mine has no writing on left side of barrel and shape of hammer looks different. Also, mine has two screws, one on either side of frame-in your picture it would be the third screw from the left and one on opposite side of frame. However, the heads of those screws stick out the depth of the head. I question if this is right for an 1860 army as it seems the screws should be flush with the frame and it looks like yours are??

Good information above.

FIE is long out of business.

The FIE's often have been shot loose including a loose cylinder base pin.

I think the more recent brass frame revolvers use alloy to strengthen the brass. They also do not tarnish as easily as the older ones.

Hawk54:
I fixed the image code to show the photos.
Next time, copy the "IMG code" and just paste it into your posts to show the photo. :grin:

Your pistol looks like a nice brass framed 1851 copy with a plain (unengraved) cylinder.
Historically several Confederate companies made brass framed pistols just like it during the Civil War.

hawk54 said:
Rebel 727- tried to copy to clipboard as you suggest and couldn't get it right- will keep trying. Re your pic of 1860 army- what make is it? I just bought an uberti- mine has no writing on left side of barrel and shape of hammer looks different. Also, mine has two screws, one on either side of frame-in your picture it would be the third screw from the left and one on opposite side of frame. However, the heads of those screws stick out the depth of the head. I question if this is right for an 1860 army as it seems the screws should be flush with the frame and it looks like yours are??

I don't go through clipboard. I just copy the image tag and paste it. The gun is a Pietta. The screws are for a shoulder stock and they don't fit flush. There should be a notch in the bottom of the grip frame and the bottom of the recoil shield should be notched on both sides. It is period correct.

Here's a blowup of the stamps on the bottom of the grip. Don't recognize the manufacturer's stamp. There were several small manufacturers in Brescia in the late 60's/early 70's; this is apparently from one of those.
Temp1861.jpg

I'd suggest you correspond with the Replica Percussion Revolver Collector's Association at Link

There is another Logo I have seen on FIE revolvers that I have not been able to find the manufacturer that used it: It is a PR on the butt of the revolver along side the FIE. Anyone know what this is?? The GB is also of interest.

If you go to the RPRCA web site you will find a list of the logos and importer/distributors that we are trying to find information about. The "PR" and the "GB" are two of them. The "GB" will alos be found on revolvers imported by EIG. When EIG was put out of business, FIE bought up their inventory so you will also see "GB" on some FIE revolvers. I would be interested in purchasing an FIE revolver with the "GB" logo.

Back