• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hello everyone...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob0817

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi All, :grin:

My name is Bob. I just yesterday turned 66. I've lived in Cleveland, Orlando and now currently just outside of Denver.

With the recent birth of our first grandson, I'm currently building him a 1/3rd scale 1841 6 pounder field cannon.

I've been interested in firearms, target shooting, and reloading of all sorts, and cannon as far back as I can remember. I can still recall our 1957 family vacation to Williamsburg and later to Gettysburg.

I would sneak out of the hotel room while my family was still fast asleep, so I wouldn't miss the morning cannon firing at Williamsburg.

By 15, I was seriously involved in target pistol shooting, and much to my mother's dismay, was the only kid on my block to have his own Smith model 41. My dad and I attended the National Pistol Matches at Camp Perry, Ohio. He'd lied about my age so I could fire in the Small Arms Firing Pistol School.

I have owned and refinished both early kit forms of a Traditions/CVA Mountain Howitzer and also their Napoleon III. Each and every piece was painstakingly buffed to perfection on a hi speed buffing wheel. Both barrels looked just like sterling. My 3rd kit was a 1/4 scale "Napoleon Wannabe" from Dave at Cannon-mania many years ago; and apparently before his unfortunate web site demise.

My current 6 pounder project was purchased unfinished from Dean and Amy at AD Gunsmoke the better part of maybe ten years ago. Regrettably, I can no longer find their web site. Unfortunately, because of living room space, and budget requirements, I was forced to sell both Traditions cannon to make the 1/3rd scale feasible. I sold both to someone at the Hartford Arsenal, foundry, or whatever. Apparently they also had a museum to which they wanted to add my guns. I don't know if they are still in Hartford, or perhaps might have been later sold on gunsamerica, but I sure regret my fool hearty decision. I see now that the Traditions Napoleon is being sold assembled for ridiculously high prices. The fit and finish looks as if it were done with a push broom. If any of you have my Napoleon, I'd love to see it again, if not buy it back. But alas, we can't live in the past...

I look forward to participating in this forum. I'm certain to have quite a few "rookie" questions as I progress with my current build. Questions about authenticity, and later on about recommended safe, but thunderous, loads for the 6 pounder.

Way back when, before the Internet, and before we were all so edjumacated, I wasn't privy to all the knowledge out there, and pretty much "winged it". Now with a grandchild involved, I'll need a refresher course on safe loads, powder granulations, etc. Ya' just cannot be too safety minded.

I had hoped that YouTube would provide some answers, but so far I have pretty much just cringed at some of the antics of these video drugstore cowboys.

If you've made it this far; thanks for reading my assorted, inane drivel. I hope to meet you someday in the cannon forum...

Welcome to the campfire! You will like the cannon section of this forum, lots of know how guys.

Well, I'd say it is! Welcome to the battery. A few big tube freaks and a few who do it for a not so cheap thrill. Have played at the game a few times myself. Member of out SCV camp has a full sized 3" Ordnance Rifle! Dave casts his own projectiles from a mold that puts the groove cuts right in the round. Watching him put'em in a washtub at 400 yards is a thrill. I get to do swab and ram...lucky moi! Jump in with questions or comments any time. :thumbsup:

Welcome to the forum Bob, and a bang and a boom to yah! Remember F-troop. :haha:

Back