• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hello all from Chattanooga, TN

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nrgeek

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Just wanted to say thanx for allowing me to join this site. I grew up from Morgantown , WV moved to TN in 1989.. only hunting I ever did was with my grandfather in the woods behind his house taking shots a those tasty little tree rats with his 32 caliber smoke pole .. was always more of a fisherman than hunter .. but the past few years Ive become more and more interested in black powder weapons and just bought my first riffle used .. a 50 caliber Knight American for 60 bucks at local pawn shop.. took it out to the range after a good cleaning of barrel, breech plug, and nipple.. loaded it up and nailed a bulls eye first shot.. and I was hooked.. now Ive got the smoke pole bug.. Ive been looking for a fowler or a smooth bore than can double as a turkey and squirrel gun.. I really like the simplicity of the barn guns.
But man its hard to find anything other than standard in lines these days locally any way

you cant just run out and get a traditional gun at most sporting goods stores. It takes planning, shopping, sometimes luck (finding a deal in a pawn shop) and lots of patience. You might find one on the classifieds or maybe get something built (lots of builders on this site). It takes time. Start reading this forum. find out all you can. if you can find a bp shooting club within a driving distance of your home, you can save yourself a lot of time by learning from them. Have fun and enjoy the smoke.

Welcome to the forum Sean, glad you found it!
The information here is the finest in the world :thumbsup:
Being a fellow Tennessee-N it's good to see some local blood interested in bp, not a lot of us per-capita LOL!
I havent been there but there is a local club up the road from ya in Cleveland that meets....I think Once or Twice a month and bp shoots.
I met them in Friendship back in September and got the information from a fellow, I just dont have it handy at the moment. I will look it up and send it to Ya!

I found one club listed for chattanooga, but there is no email or phone listed just name and st address .. Im not even sure it exsists any longer I found it on a list of clubs on another site.
Cleveland though aint but about 30 miles

Welcome!! I live just west of Chattanooga! There is a little shop called Guns and Stuff in between Whitwell and Jasper. The owner there is in to Civil war reenactment and he has a lot of bp knowledge. I buy my Goex from him.

Sportsmans wharehouse on hwy 58 @ 153 has the best commercial "in the tradition but not quite there" traditional bp supplies. They have a very nice selection of Lyman percussion bp rifles as well as Traditions.

Good luck!

Welcome aboard nrgeek, i'm sure you will find what you're looking for here. I would like to have the name & location of the club in Cleveland Tn. as well.I work just up the Interstate from there.. :thumbsup:

Hi Sean, and welcome to the forum! As far as traditional firearms....check out the classifieds here. There are usually several listed and even some left hand guns! Also, some of the online gun auctions have traditional guns as well. Good luck!

OK fellows for those of you who were interested on this thread.
The club I mentioned earlier is

Chattanooga Rifle Club
5960 Hunter Road
Harrison,37341 chattanoogarifleclub.org

They meet the 4th Sunday of the month for black powder and there website also has contact information.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can take the boy out of TN but you can never take TN out of the boy. Welcome...From a Texan from Tennessee. A great forum here.

Im looking for a muzzleloader only club .. not just a place to shoot.. and they aint cheap just to join 4 one weekend a month

Back