• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hawken new barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrew .357

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi, I was not happy with my first barrel I made for my Hawken plains rifle, it was ok with p r b but to hard to load a bullet. So as I had a 1m length of the same steel I set up my lathe and made a new barrel, but this time the bore is .457". Then had to make a new bullet mould, it came out at 280grs, would 70grs of 3f be to hot a load?, or say start at 60gr and work up. I have tried p r ball at the range, but after 5 shots I dry balled it, :doh: . Next range visit will give the bullets a go. Homwbrew.357.

Is it a smooth bore? Just curious. Kinda wandering, how you rifled the bore.

Two types of dry ballers...one's that have....and one's that's going too.

I have a metal range rod with a screw in drill bit. I drill a hole in the ball/bullet, by rotating the rod by hand. Then use a regular screw in ball puller. Works a lot better than ball puller, alone. The shank on cheap drills can be threaded, to fit the range rod.

I am going to assume that your barrel is well made and safe. :hmm:

The traditional way of determining the best (most accurate) load for any rifle is to start with a load of grains of powder equal to the caliber. For your rifle, it would be 45 grains (3f will be great). Fire 3 to 5 rounds at a target from a bench rest. You may choose to wipe between each shot but in any case, wipe your bore between changes of your charge so that your bore remains the same for each charge. Then increase your charge by 5 grains to 50 grains and repeat with 3 to 5 more shots at a new target. Continue doing this in 5 grain increments until you get to a charge of about 1 1/2 times your caliber. For your rifle, that would be about 70 grains. You could safely go higher, maybe up to 90 grains, but you will most likely find an accurate load within that 45 to 70 grains of 3f range of charges. Don't forget the effects of different patch thicknesses and lubes. You may have to test them, too once you have found your most accurate powder charge. :hatsoff:

If you don't already have a copy of Dutch Schoultz' muzzleloading accuracy system, I highly recommend it. He charges only $20 (he may charge a bit more to send it overseas) for it and it is worth far more than that. :thumbsup: www.blackpowderrifleaccuracy.com

Last edited by a moderator:
colorado clyde said:
It's easier to make a sizing die and size your bullets than it is to make a new barrel

You can size them down but I think he increased the diameter of his bore. I suspect he knew that he could size the bullets down but I'll bet he just wanted to make a new barrel. Why not, if you have the equipment and have fun making a new barrel. I'd probably do it....if I had the stuff and the knowledge.
:haha:

Hi Guys, My barrels are fairly rough, lead lapped to smooth the bore a bit. The barrel has a twist of "1-33' and shoots p r ball ok at 50yrd, but still working on it. The main thing is the hunting bullet I want to get shoot good, so will start low and work up. TO see the rifle builds go to www " Making a sharps rifle on my lathe", the Hawken plains rifle is on there to, Cheers, Homebrew.357.

Back