• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hawken and Crockett

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ohio Joe

50 Cal.
Reaction score
According to Charles Hanson, Jr., his book; The Hawken Rifle: Its Place in History,,,chapter 2,,, one could make the argument that the "Hawken" name as we know now associated with the famous rifle was changed over the years from; Hawken (1807/08) to Hawkey (1808) to Hawkin (1810) then back to, Hawken, sometime after that? Davy Crockett's, mother was; Rebecca "Hawkins" Crockett (Born in Maryland, about 1756)...The "Hawkins", later "Hawken", Jacob (b1776), and Samuel (b1792 were also born in Maryland,,,(see chapter 2 of Hanson's, "The Plains Rifle"... Could Davy Crocketts' mother been Jacob and Samuel's, aunt, which would make Davy, Jake, and Sam, cousins???

Rebecca Hawkins was born in Baltimore Co., MD about 1756.

She married John A. Crockett in Frederick Co., MD, about 1776. John was born in Granville, NC 1754. John was the son of David Crockett and Elizabeth Hedge. (See John A. Crockett for the children resulting from this marriage.) From "Genealogies of Kentucky Families", Genealogical Publishing Co., Baltimore, 1981, p.224. Date of birth from: "Joe L. Freeman"

We have proven that Rebecca who married John Crockett is the daughter of Nathan and Ruth Cole Hawkins. She is not a sister to John Sevier's wife....have their children with some info onsome of these families...

Line of the Hawken family:

1. Carl J. Hawken - born 1914, son of
2. William C. Hawken - born 1875, died 1951, son of
3. John Hawken - born 1839, died 1923, son of
4. David Hawken - born 1812, died 1891. came to Miller Co., MO. 1850's, died & buried here, son of
5. John Hawken - born 1784, died 1821. Rifle maker at Harpers Ferry, VA, second son of
6. Christain, Hawken (Hacken) - born 1756, died 1821. Rifle maker Hagerstown Maryland, son of
7. Niclaus Hacken - born 1718. died 1758. Rifle maker at Bern Switzerland.

My records show that Niclaus & 2 brothers. Christain & Woefgang came to America from Switzerland and lived in York County. PA. I think that Woefgang was also a rifle maker and probably all three of them. They came to America in 1750. The Boats name was Sandwich. They sailed from Rotterdam. They arrived at Philadelphia PA., November 30, 1750. The Captain of the ship (Sandwich) was captain Hazelwood from Rotterdam, with 200 passengers on board. It didn't say how long the trip took. The record shows that they left a lot of relatives in Switzerland, but I won't try to list all of them, but the records I have go back to a Niklaust (Hacken) Hawken, born 1565 at Rueggisberg, Bern Switzerland, so the family was of Swiss decent. My great great grandfather, John, born 1784, was an older brother of Jake & Samuel Hawken, the St. Louis Rifle Makers.

Signed

Carl J. Hawken

Latest posts

Back