• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hatfield rifle value?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stubert

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Was in the local gun shop yesterday and saw a 36 cal. Hatfield fullstock flinter for sale. the barrel only said 36 cal. Hatfield on it and it had a big lock that was also engraved Hatfield.It had a removable liner and full buckhorn sights, very nice looking. The guy in back of the counter did not own it and thought the asking price was $800.00 That seems a bit high to me. Anyone out there more knowledgable than I that knows a value?

Saw 2 slightly used ones, 15+ years ago in a muzzleloading gun shop in Ohio. The asking price then was over $600 each. if memory serves, one was a .32 and the other was a .40 or .45. I can remember being sorely tempted at the time, but no funds to spare.

Stubert,it seems this is a Pedersoli Hatfield Frontierman. Please,don´t buy this gun or any other Pedersoli, they´re junk and totally overprized for what you get. They have a patented breech which is not good for flinters and usually their touchhole locations are inaccurate. I have one for 15 years now in .50cal and it will be a lot of work this winter to get this one firing as good as my quality custom or self-buildt gun from TOTW quality parts, now that i know what the problem is

My understanding is there were American made Hatfields back in the late 70's possibly early 80's that are worth that much today and then you have the Pedersoli made Hatfield maybe worth half that. I believe the Pedersoli Hatfields have warnings on the barrel. The one you found might be one of the original American made guns worth looking into for sure, don't see many of them come up for sale.

The Hatfield that I was looking at is used and it does have warning on the barrel to use black powder only.

If it is a Pedersoli $400-$500, they had problem with the barrels,not a good shooter.If it is a first generation $600+ would be a good price.Pedersoli has a blued finish the first generation has a rust finish.Have a gun store here that has a Pedersoli 36cal he is asking $450 for it.Does it have both locks ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought one in the 80's for 350.00, we bought 3 at the time, one man was a dealer and got them. I got a 36, they got 50's. Mine had the best tiger stripes. Was a good gun. I gave it to my daughter to hang in her new house. I did shoot a groundhog with it before I gave it to her. I didn't wont to scratch it up in the woods. Log Cabin told me the lock was not American made. When I bought my Blue Ridge, there was the same lock. I had to get a new sear arm at Log Cabin. The one that came with gun was too soft. Otherwise ok. Very accurate barrel. I would of liked a smaller lock (Siler) on the gun as it was a neat little gun. Yours sounds like the one I had. Dilly

I bought a .45 Blue Ridge flinter about 15 years ago. A member in the club I use to belong to had a .36 Hatfield flinter. Placed side by side, they were exactly the same, except the Hatfield had a maple stock and my Pedersoli has a walnut stock. The Pedersoli is a straight and reliable shooter. As for that big lock, it sparks about 99.9% of the time. It has a real fast ignition. Pedersoli jacked up the prices a few years back, just when I was planning to buy another Blue Ridge in the then new .54 cal. Since the prices are close to a nice semi-custom rifle, I think I'll wait and add a few more dollars to the pot for a nice custom one. When I bought my Pedersoli in the early 1990's, it was going for $300 at Cabela's. Actually, my wife bought it for me for Father's Day. It's been a good rifle and I have no complaints.

The one I saw were made in the US. Very fancy with lots of tight curl the entire length of the stock. Like I said this was 15+ years ago and I want to say the shop owner said they were made by a fellow who lived in Las Vegas.

The old Hatfield's were popular in this area when they were made in Missouri. The first production run was a pretty decent gun, but subsequent production runs had spotty quality control. The late production runs apparently had little to no quality control.

Some locks work real well, some later ones hardly worked at all. Some barrels shot real well, some barely held a shotgun group at 50 yards.

IMHO, for $800, you can get a MUCH, MUCH HIGHER quality gun. If you are in the market and your budget allows for $800, try Early Rustic. They make a decent gun, and a much higher quality gun than the Hatfield ever could be.

thanks guys, that is what I was thinking, for another 1-2 hundred i can get a new custom.

I'd agree with JD, for the same price or a little more you can get a LOT more gun.

Back in the mid 80's I had one of the American made percussion Hatfield's in 45 calibre. That was the biggest piece of manure I've ever owned. I had trouble with it from the very day it arrived. You couldn't give me another.
Tom Black
Cantucky

This is odd. I have a 50 Cal Hatfield, that I purchased in the early 80's through Cabalas (sp?) for approximately $400.00.

It was an American made piece, had a browned barrel. It has Hatfield markings on the lock, and the top of the octagon barrel; for black powder only, in small letters on the side of the barrel two inches in front of the lock. This gun has no visible serial number.

The shape of the stock is a study in classic form, and it is a very good looking weapon. When I first showed the gun to my wife, she ridiculed me for spending that much money on a gun that had been obsolete for more than a hundred years. Then when I started to put it into it's case to stow it away, she asked me what I was doing. I told her it was going into storage with the rest of my guns; and she said "No it is not. I've seen one gun that was better looking than that one, and it was in the Smithsonian , that sucker is going on the wall above the new mantle."

This gun is extremely accurate, a neighbor of my folks, who was a WWII Marine, and an excellent marksman, saw some pictures my dad had taken of me shooting the Hatfield on the rifle range on my farm insisted that I bring the rifle to Mississippi the next time I came home. At the lake club, where my folks lived there was a nicely set up rifle range. He set up a target at 100 yards, and had me shoot from a chair with some sand bags. (I wanted to stand up, but he insisted he wanted to see what the rifle could do).

We got a nice group in eight shots, all within an inch and three quarters of dead center. When we got back to my folks lake house, he showed the target to my Mom (who was a very good shot , and said "Your boy has your eye, and a damn fine rifle; the only way to shoot any better at that range would be to put a scope on it, and that would be a crime."

When I first got the gun I had a lot of ignition issues, until I replaced the machined flints I bought at gun stores with a chunk of flint with a natural sharp edge I found In my gravel driveway. after a rain, the flint looks much darker, and is easy to spot in the crush and run limestone gravel) after replacing the commercial flint with driveway flint I have had a 100% ignition rate. I replaced that first chunk of driveway flint after several years with one that looked better .

My Mom preceded my Dad in death, and after my dad passed away, my son and daughter witnessed my sister's and I dividing up the family heirlooms. which included several guns. My kids started talking about how they would divide up mine and my Wife's stuff. when it came to guns, the Hatfield was first on both kids list, My daughter said may so could have the rest of the arsenal, as long as she got the Hatfield.

I don't know anything about the pedersoli versions, but the American made guns used the same barrel blank to bore for the 50. 45. and 36? caliber versions, so the smaller caliber versions had massively overbuilt barrels.

every Pedersoli weapon I have seen had a boat load of proof marks. I have a Pedersoli Kentucky pistol. It's lock has bad geometry; at half cock the lock is to close to the frizen, and the flint keeps the frizzen from closing all the way on the pan, allowing the charge to escape if the pistol isn't held dead level; I filed some off of the jaws that hold the flint to minimize that issue, but it still is a problem It also had very hard trigger pull, which required some modification of the lock mechanism. the pistol shot way low, My so finally figured out that the blade sight used was way to big, and could bullseye if he used the bottom of the blade sight in the grove instead of the. while the Pedersoli Kentucky pistol has some issues, after modifications the pistol is no longer an embarrassment.

My Hatfield 50 caliber is my favorite gun, and apparently, my daughter's favorite gun

Bill Nelson

Bill Nelson said:
This is odd.

Sounds like you have one of the good ones, but "Hatfield" appears to cover a lot of ground. Over the years of manufacture there were a lot of changes, and not all of them good. I've handled one that you'd swear was a cheap knockoff of a cheap knockoff, the fit, finish and hardware were so bad. I've handled another that I'd be proud to own, it was so well made. If I was buying one today, I'd have to handle it in person or see one heck of a lot of detailed photos, there's that much difference floating around in the same uniform.

Sure, I've had a Hatfield .50 flintlock for some 30 years, very long with a full blackwalnut stock. Only problem I have is that here in SoCal -I never much get a chance to shoot it. 30 years not one missfire ....

Back