• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Halfstock percussion ID

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think Mountain Man Joe Meek had a rifle "Old Sally" with a back action lock but it might be post 1840.
I'm mostly into knives on the original stuff and you cannot believe the stuff that has occurred. For example let's say there was a Sheffield Cutler "Joe Smith" who made Bowie knives, table knives, farm tools. There have been cases where an inexpensive farm tool is bought, the steel with the stamp mark cut out and then that part of the metal welded into a fake Bowie Knife- the idea being the imitate a priceless original. You have to x-ray to about tell it is a fake.
The NRA has a magazine a lot of folks are unaware of, "Men at Arms". In this magazine are a lot of the major dealers in original antique weapons (firearms,swords, knives, etc). If you ever are thinking about paying a lot for any original- it would be wise to talk to some folks that deal in that type of thing.

LaBonte said:
Actually back action FLINT locks date back at least into the 1700's

I'm not saying they didn't make them, they just avoided it. For example, there isn't room for front action springs in an over under.

Back action locks weaken the wrist, you have to put tie irons top and bottom. Back action seems to have a brief season in the sun around the middle of the 19th century but even then the big name makers needed an excuse before they would do it.

Back