• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Greetings Y'all! Celebrating the 200th Anniversary of the Texas Rangers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From South Texas here, 4th generation Texan...ranched in deep East Texas, now retired Texas L/E in Texas Hill Country. Texas Rangers back in the day were the best the world had to offer, tough, honorable, fearless. Today, looking at Uvalde, our DPS has come a long way in the wrong direction. I'll do some research for you on the '36 Patterson. Here are some interesting facts:

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/new...t-revolver-sets-world-record-price-for-a-gun/
https://thebryanmuseum.org/project/colt-paterson-revolver-called-the-texas-colt/

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome.
My great-grandpa was in the Rangers 1893-1897, in Company B, Frontier Battalion under Capt. Bill McDonald. This photo of him was taken in Regency, Texas, now a ghost town.
Inherited the photo from my grandma, who was keeper of the family photos. It’s a priceless piece of history to me.

Attachments

• Jim Christy, Texas Ranger.jpeg
    Jim Christy, Texas Ranger.jpeg
    376.8 KB · Views: 0
Welcome to the forum.
Thomas
Thanks Thomas!
Are you related by any chance to the Grays of Virginia, in particular the family line of John Bowie Gray a VMI Cadet who fought at the Battle of Newmarket ?
John relocated to Texas after Lincolns War, maybe to link up to a Texas branch of the family there.

Interestingly my Great Grandmother from Virginia and was a relation of Johns migrating to Australia to marry my Great Grandfather post War; they were 3rd Cousins on the paternal side.
Gray is a Highland Scots surname from MacGlashan, meaning "Son of the Gray Lad" a Sept of the Appin Stewart Clan.
Songwriter, not that I am aware of, but Capt Jack Hays was the nephew of Andrew Jackson...so there may be a Virginia connection there....also, both my wife's mother and father were both of Scottish descent, so there may also be a connection there. :) thanks for sharing...stay in touch...Capt Jack

Welcome to the site. Generally a good spot to be. In what part of the state do you reside? I was raised on a ranch in Burnet county. Family still has land from 1800’s in Llano county. Can relate some family stories concerning ranger service as well. Right now I’m working on some for my grand kids. Again welcome.
Greetings BarnettShale! We currently live in Northern Virginia...but would love to move to TX...maybe someday. Thank you! Yes, would love to learn of any ranger stories you can share...as you address your grand kids interests...which are clearly the priority. thanks again...Capt Jack

Welcome.
My great-grandpa was in the Rangers 1893-1897, in Company B, Frontier Battalion under Capt. Bill McDonald. This photo of him was taken in Regency, Texas, now a ghost town.
Inherited the photo from my grandma, who was keeper of the family photos. It’s a priceless piece of history to me.
Wow! SgtMaj65! What a precious piece of family history...thank you for sharing...we are in the process of collecting and building out our own little library and set of pics....great hobby! :) Thanks again...Capt Jack

From South Texas here, 4th generation Texan...ranched in deep East Texas, now retired Texas L/E in Texas Hill Country. Texas Rangers back in the day were the best the world had to offer, tough, honorable, fearless. Today, looking at Uvalde, our DPS has come a long way in the wrong direction. I'll do some research for you on the '36 Patterson. Here are some interesting facts:

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/new...t-revolver-sets-world-record-price-for-a-gun/
https://thebryanmuseum.org/project/colt-paterson-revolver-called-the-texas-colt/

1911Tex, thank you for the background, and info on the 1836 auction...Darn! Looks like I missed my opportunity for that particular 1936 patterson...oh well...was only a few hundred thousand short anyway. :) Thanks again...let's stay in touch Partner! ...Capt Jack

1911Tex, thank you for the background, and info on the 1836 auction...Darn! Looks like I missed my opportunity for that particular 1936 patterson...oh well...was only a few hundred thousand short anyway. :) Thanks again...let's stay in touch Partner! ...Capt Jack
You might contact the Texas Ranger Museum in Waco, Texas...be worth your while to visit as you may find a lot about your Ranger family history. Great museum.

Welcome to the forum! There's a podcast called "Legends Of The Old West" that has a series on Texas Rangers and at least one or two other series on specific Rangers. I know one of them was Frank Hamer, I believe there was another Ranger featured too. It's a great podcast, I binge it all the time at work. The series they did on "Red Cloud's War" and the "Battle Of The Little Bighorn" was good too. Happy Birthday Texas Rangers! I love that ballad by Marty Robbins called "Sundown" and also "Big Iron", although IIRC that one was about an Arizona Ranger.

Welcome to the forum! There's a podcast called "Legends Of The Old West" that has a series on Texas Rangers and at least one or two other series on specific Rangers. I know one of them was Frank Hamer, I believe there was another Ranger featured too. It's a great podcast, I binge it all the time at work. The series they did on "Red Cloud's War" and the "Battle Of The Little Bighorn" was good too. Happy Birthday Texas Rangers! I love that ballad by Marty Robbins called "Sundown" and also "Big Iron", although IIRC that one was about an Arizona Ranger.
Thank you AZSixShooter! will check it out! :)

You might contact the Texas Ranger Museum in Waco, Texas...be worth your while to visit as you may find a lot about your Ranger family history. Great museum.
Thanks 1911Tex...my wife and I are trying to figure out a way to make that happen...but hope to do so within the year...2023...to be able to say we were there for the 200th! :) Thanks...

Welcome from Lancaster, PA and Happy Birthday Rangers!
Solanco, Thank you! I'm originally from PA, and my father claimed Amish heritage...don't know for sure, but my wife and I love visiting the peaceful slower pace of life in the Amish lands and farms east of Lancaster (Bird in Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, etc.) Thanks again!

A short time ago, I finished reading "Lone Star Justice. The first century of the Texas Rangers", by Robert M. Utley. Very interesting read. Lots of footnotes, very detailed information.
If you are interested, I am willing to part with the book.

I did spend some time in Texas earlier in my life. Three different Air Force bases, almost a year total time.

Back