• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Great range session results

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJB22

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Well I am excited to say I had a great day at the range yesterday. I was on sort of a mission to test out a few things that I have been reading about here on this forum.

First: Will my custom 45 cal 42" green mountain with a large Siller lock shoot with FFF in the pan? Ball was a .440 Hornady, patch .018 twice lubed (once by factory once in my mouth) pillow, and Goex 3F powder. Yes indeed, I shot 32 rounds- everything from clean barrel to swabbed barrel to dirty barrel and the pan in all three conditions also. I had 100 percent ignition. My group was not effected by this experiment, all shots were in a 2 1/2 group at 25 yards. I could not tell the difference in ignition time. In fact I think I noticed less debris flying out of the lock.

Second: How much powder do I really need to use to prime my pan? I used different amounts of powder to prime. I used about a grain and a half with no problem and as much as 4 ish grains-- I know that that is just too much for my pan so 2 1/2 to 3 grains works just fine.

Third: I wanted to get some velocities from shooting; to see the clean barrel shot to swabbed to dirty barrel readings if any differences existed. How fast the RB really was going and what speeds were produced between a target load and a hunting load. I am not super concerned with the question if it was fast enough to take a deer because I already know it's about placement rather that power anyway but curious I was. Results: Chronograph was set ten feet out-- 60 gains of powder averaged 1712 fps--- 65 grains 1731 fps, 70 grains 1820, 75 grains 1858, and 80 grains 1894. I shot at least four loads per grain level. I shot cold barrel, cooled barrel, and shot one after another and saw no differences with that condition. The clean barrel shot were all 30-50 fps less than the other shots.

Finally: I went to have some fun. Results-- I did.

Questions for you guys My English flints are breaking the barrel-side edge off. It has hit the barrel in the past but I make sure the flint clears before I shoot but after three or four shots the flint has this chip. Is it happening from blowback from the main powder charge? This condition does not effect the ignition at all, it just happens to every flint I use. Come to think of it, it happens to the Harper's Ferry pistol flinter too.

I know I have read about dressing the flints after the they run their life with a dremmel tool. I can use the rifle flints in the smaller pistol if I can widdle them down with some kind of bit. Which to use? Is there a more traditional way? By the way I got all of my 32 shots from the same flint without knapping. I have great luck with the flint life in this rifle. I bet I have shot 150 shots from the most recent flint. (leather wrapped)

Anyway I had a great time with my rifle, I did the same tests with the 58 cal Harper's Ferry pistol too with mixed results but I will save the story for the pistol section. Happy shooting

Gasses could be blowing pieces of the flint off, but that usually occurs to me if I set the flint too far forward and it's impacting part of the pan as it falls.

Check and see if the flint is hitting the barrel on that side. If it is there will be marks on the barrel. Also check to make sure the flint is even all the way across in relation to the frizzen. If even a tiny part of the flint hits ahead of the entire edge it will flake off bits of flint.

It sounds as if you really made "good smoke" on your day at the range.

You might consider buying a small diamond file set. I found two such small sized sets at Habor Freight... a 5-file set for $4.95 and a 10-file set for about $8.00.

With a few strokes of these extra "hard" files, you can shape your flints exactly the way you want or put a sharp edge on the leading edge of the flint in a few seconds and lose a lot less of the flint's body compared to knapping it with a brass rod or small brass hammer.

Jus' my 2¢... :thumbsup:

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

Thanks for the diamond file idea. I look at the flint when I set them up to make sure they are square with the frizzen but it could be off just a touch. I am not really upset because the flint will go another 50 shot without fail so it isn't too much to complain about. I have a ding or two on the barrel from the flint loosening when I was using lead to hold the flint--just seemed like I couldn't get it tight enough with the lead. I will check out the flint hitting the pan idea- never occured to me so I will go and give it a look right now. I'll get back with you folks

got about 100 reliable shots with my bess musket but i just bought a 45 cal kentucky style long rifle
in flintlock and once its here i just hoping for the luck and reliability your getting
buzz

Well I peeked at the rifle and the flint is not hitting either the pan or the barrel and is as square to the frizzen as it can get. I guess I will just live with it. The chip is only .035-.045 wide out of the .750 wide flint anyhow. As for the flint longevity; I guess I am lucky with this one, my pistol goes through a flint in 20 shots or so. Oh well It's better then fumbling around with those tiny cap things. :wink:

Looks like ya did a good job first time out. :thumbsup:

Next time out lets see ya keep all shots in a 2 1/2 group at 50 yards. Thats something to strive for. :thumbsup:

I did that 2 1/2" 5 shot group at 100 yards a time or two.------------ of sandbags :grin:

Back