• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Goulcer percussion pistol locks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you interested in the original Goulcher locks, or the R.E. Davis reproductions?

I have one of the Davis locks on a pistol. It does what it’s supposed to do. I have no complaints.

I will say that a lot of old, original locks were marked with the maker’s name and frequently some artwork… hounds, pheasants, and so forth. Very few modern-made locks have anything at all on the plate. Davis made an effort to replicate that old-time style with the Goulcher lock. I like it.

The original Goulcher locks were used on thousands of guns. My dad had two antique Goulcher locks in his collection. I recall they were nearly identical, except one had been used, and the other had not. It hadn’t even been drilled for a lock bolt. Both were very nicely made. I don’t remember if either had a fly in the tumbler or not, but I do remember very good finish work, strong springs, and positive “clicks.” Even at 150+ years of age, most of the antique locks I’ve handled have shown smoother function and more positive engagement than typical modern made locks.

Anyway, Goulcher locks may not have had the jewel-like finish and precision of locks by Manton or Purdey, but they were good locks. The Davis reproduction is also a very nice lock. I certainly have no complaints with mine.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

This is the R.E. Davis reproduction lock (photo from Track of the Wolf):

Goulcher Repro.jpg

... and this is my pistol, with the Davis Goulcher lock on it:

Bergmann 1.1 (3).JPG

You can't really see the Goulcher name on the pistol lock in this photo, but it's there.

Notchy Bob

Latest posts

Back