• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Good books on 1750-1790 period?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rschissler

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I just finished reading "George Washington's War", by Robert Leckie and "A Few Bloody Noses", by Robert Harvey, both which are about the Rev. War. Can anyone recommend any similar books, or perhaps the F & I War, or colonial life?

I'd even consider fiction, if there are any about this time period.

For fiction,I've just finished Jimmy Carter's"The Hornet's Nest" about the Revwar in Georgia & the Carolinas..bit dry,but he's certainly done an aweful lot of research...more light-hearted are "The blooding of Jack Absolute" & "Jack Absolute" by ?? Humphreys..first is F&I,second RevWar..be warned,the Hero is a British Officer,but again,very well researched.
Steve

Just started reading Alan Fitzpatrick's, "Wilderness War on the Ohio." I've only read up to page 31 of this 600 plus page book and it's very promising so far. The author examined numerous documents in the Canadian version of the National Archives and came away with the French & Indian & Loyalist perspective of the fighting that took place around the Ohio Valley. THUMBS UP (so far).

is that the book that was just in the front of muzzle loader mag?that looked like a good book :thumbsup:

Don't remember which mag, but it's from the bookseller in Gettysburg.

I just recently finished Wilderness War on the Ohio. Overall a very good book which sheds another perspective on the Revolutionary era in the Ohio country. It was written from the British point of view and sheds a different light on folks like the Girty brothers, Alexander McKee, and Mathew Elliot, who have been basically portrayed as evil incarnate in most of the histories written by the 'winning' side. I enjoyed it very much

Simon Girty was portrayed as the devil by many people on the frontier but in fact a lot of the atrocities blamed on Simon were in fact committed by his brother James. Simon got the bad name because he was present when the indians burned Col William Crawford at the stake near present Bucyrus Ohio in 1782. Col. Crawford was leading an army to destroy the indians and burn their towns. This took place shortly after a group of border ruffians brutally murdered the peaceful Moravian indians at Gnadenhutten. Simon knew Crawford. they both had lived at Pittsburg Pa.
Crawford was caught leading an invading army there was nothing Simon Girty could have done to save him without risking his own life.
Simon Kenton knew Simon Girty well and late in his life when he was asked about Girty he said "James was more of an indian than Simon". When asked about details Kenton said "Well I'll tell you, Girty (Simon) was good to me". In 1774 Girty and Kenton were together and Kenton said "We pledged ourselves as brothers at the mouth of the Sciota when there was no one else in the wilderness but God and us". He said Girty often purchased prisoners from the indians and arranged for them to go to Detroit or back to Kentucky.
Simon Girty helped save Kenton's life when he was captured by the indians in 1778. Kenton talked to Girty while he was a captive and asked about his turning traitor Girty told Kenton that he regretted it "that I was too hasty". Girty was upset because he had been passed over for a promotion and was falsely accused of "illegal intercourse with the indians" so he left Pittsburg and went over to the British at Detroit at the beginning of the Revolution.
Kenton as an older man accompanied the American soldiers going through Ohio on their way to Detroit during the War of 1812. He slipped off to vist Girty who lived across the river from Detroit at Malden but Girty had fled in fear of the Americans, Kenton never saw him again.
It is clear from Kenton's statements that he was very close to Simon Girty and felt that he had been deeply wronged.
For more information on Girty and Crawford see C. W. Butterfield's " History of Col. William Crawfords Sandusky Campaign of 1782"

Regards, Dave

Be warned that Butterfield's history is very slanted, though. An aquaintance of mine is working on a very in-depth biography of Girty at the moment. I have been given the priveledge of reading the first draft and it is very promising. He's currently re-writing it based on some feedback he received, so no publishing date has been set yet.

"Crucible of War : The Seven Years' War and the Fate of Empire in British North America, 1754-1766" by Fred Anderson

"A People's Army: Massachusett Soldiers and Society in the Seven Years' War" by Fred Anderson

"Redcoats: The British Soldier and War in the Americas, 1755-1763" by Stephen Brumwell

"Wolfe at Quebec" by Christopher Hibbert

"Paul Revere's Ride" by David Hackett Fischer

"Washington's Crossing" by David Hackett Fischer

"Saratoga : Turning Point of America's Revolutionary War" by Richard M. Ketchum

"Saratoga" by Richard Ketchum was very good. For a very thorough view of the French and Indian War, "Empires At War" by William M. Fowler, Jr. "Rise To Rebellion" and "The Glorious Cause" by Jeff Shaara are, technically, Revolutionary War novels, but very good history. Allan Eckert and James Alexander Thom are hard to beat. I particularly like "That Dark And Bloody River", by Eckert. "1776" by David McCullough was, also, very good.

All this leads up to the finest treatment of the Revolutionary War that I've read, to date, which is "A New Age Now Begins" (two volumes), by Page Smith. The two books are each huge, but don't be put off by that -- Smith's writing style and the emphasis he places on people, at least as much as on events, holds your interest from the opening pages. In a few pages he lays out a scene of Massachusetts farmers slaughtering redcoats on the road from Concord to Boston, and of colonists being trapped by sorties of vengeful Englishmen and cursing the soldiers as they die -- then poses the question, "How did it come to this?" I was hooked, at that point, and some 1800 pages later I realized how relevant -- often in frightening ways -- the history of the Revolution is to the course our country seems to be taking today. I'm about ready to begin my third reading, and fully expect to find much that is new and valuable to me.

Although I find "A Season of Purpose", and "Crucible of War" very intriguing, I think I am most interested in starting with "Rise to Rebellion". It's described as a novel, but I wonder what is fact and what is fiction?

Thanks for the replies and of course more are welcome.

Rise to Rebellion was a fantastic book! While a historical novel, like all of the other Shaara books, it nevertheless is based largely on historical 'fact'. Reading this book was a great awakening for me - it made me realize that I actually knew very little indeed about the American Revolution! What we were taught in school was a pitiful representation of this seminal period of American history. This book started me on a quest that has lasted for several years now of reading about the Revolution, and also, the French and Indian War. I will definitely pursue "A New Age Now Begins" mentioned above (thanks to Mongrel for the tip!).

If you want to know what it was like for an american soldier, read the book by Joseph Plum Martin. Its called The Narrative of JPM I think.
It will give you a lot of respect for what these guys went through to gain our freedom. Joseph was there for the whole war pretty much. Amazing story.
I think that if everyone read this book and saw the unbelievable hardship these soldiers faced to secure our freedom, maybe we wouldn;t give up our freedoms for any reason.

There's also a version of his journals called "Yankee Doodle Boy" that I came across in our local middle school's library. I presume it's edited in some sense for younger readers, but it is, essentially, Martin's writing.

In searching for A New Age Now Begins, I came across this book also. I found it at Amazon .com. It is called A Narrative of a Revolutionary Soldier by Joseph Plumb Martin. Just might pick this one up too!

Here's a couple of historical fiction and one non fiction. Some of these may be out of print so you may have to scout them up in libraries:

Fiction
"Arundel" Kenneth Roberts
"In the Hands of the Senecas" Walter Edmonds
"Boone" Cameron Judd
"The Forest and the Fort" Hervey Allen
"Bedford Village" Hervey Allen
"The City in the Dawn" Hervey Allen
"The Spirit of the Border" Zane Grey
"Betty Zane" Zane Grey

Non fiction
"A Company of Heroes" Dale Van Every

I'm going through "A People's Army" and must add my endorsement to this scholarly work. If you want to know about life as a Massachusetts provincial soldier, this book is a must read. It's the equivalent of Bell Irving Wiley's "The Life of Billy Yank" and "The Life of Johnny Reb." It's a little shy of "Hard Tack and Coffee" but it does give you plenty of insights on what it was like to be a provinicial soldier.

rschissler said:
I just finished reading "George Washington's War", by Robert Leckie and "A Few Bloody Noses", by Robert Harvey, both which are about the Rev. War. Can anyone recommend any similar books, or perhaps the F & I War, or colonial life?

I'd even consider fiction, if there are any about this time period.

Go to this website and check out all those books! :shocked2:
[url] http://www.evolpub.com/ECBookstore/ColWars.html#1889037206[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Back