• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Goex, I've Gone Full Circle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Landngroove

45 Cal.
Reaction score
When I started shooting muzzleloaders, I used Goex black powder. After a while, I wanted to try a powder that burned "cleaner". I then switched to using Pyrodex, for the next few years. I could live with the hangfire, because I could load more shots without wiping the bore, in my percussions, and put a small kicker charge of bp, in for my flinters. Well Cleanshot (American Pioneer Powder) came out. Wow! this stuff burns real clean, and ignites better in my percussions. (still need kicker charge of bp in flinters). I could live with what seemed like less velocity, volume for volume, than bp, and the fact that I was not really comfortable using it hunting. Next came Pinnacle. Seems like same qualities of A.P.P., in my percussions, still need kicker charge of bp in flinters. Well after these powders are gone from my supply, there will be no more subs. I have gone back to the beginning, shooting real goex black powder, in all my ml's. I actually have been shooting only Goex bp in my flinters for a year, now. No more hangfire, good velocity, consistancy shot to shot. I guess I had to go full circle, to realize that real Goex was the best all along!

Yep, that's about the same trail I took....Goex, Pyrodex, T7, Black Mag3, Pinnacle, ...and now for about a year...Goex :thumbsup:

:grin: I have never tried the BP substitutes, as they are not traditional in my mind. They do have some attributes that sell them to the masses---the biggest is the myth about fast cleanup. I started with GOEX and switched to ELEPHANT, because it was cheap. I got totally fed up with the ELEPHANT because it was a "dirty" powder---so I switched to SWISS. It's a wee bit more costly, however you use less and it's clean burning. I don't require swabbing after each shot and the clean-up is a wee bit faster. :hatsoff:

Pasquenel said:
"...They do have some attributes that sell them to the masses..."
As one of "the masses", I used Pyrodex RS very successfully in TC sidelocks during my years with caplocks, took many good deer with it, ignited fine using CCI#11's....switched to Flintlocks and tried Elephant but the cans I got were garbage, burned it off on the ground, switched to Goex, perfect all the way around...IMO, it's price / performance ratio is at the top of the heap.

Goex has always been a trusted reliable friend to me, see no reason to switch. If it ain't broke don't fix it!

Toomuch
Shoot Flint

Yup...used pyrodex because it was supposed to be cleaner, never mind the hangfires. Then triple seven because it cleaned up with just water, ignore the hangfires.

Now I've seen the light...Goex FFFg. Clean burning, goes off every time in my caplock AND cleans up with plain water. Cheaper, too. Wonderful stuff.

The only difficulty is trying to find it in Western New York. I have to drive 40 miles to PA.

I started with Pyrodex.
When I tried Goex for the first time I was hooked. I have been using it ever since exclusively. Matter of fact I have 10 pounds of it on it's way to me right now.

Huntin Dawg

I am new to all of this smoke pole stuff but I am learning alot from the posts on this forum. It seems like most of the people here like real black powder better than any of the new subs. Anybody know where could I find some Goex in the Atlanta Georgia area I would like to try it. Which would you go with ffg or ffg in a traditional 50 cal percussion rifle.

Landngroove,

I too use Goex exclusively. I have tried others over the last 20 years (though never any bp substitutes) such as Lidu (which shoots very dirty) and Elephant as well as American. Through comprehensive record keeping of targets and chronograph results I went back to Goex.

Charcloth

I just got my first can of Goex in years!!
I was stuck using Pyrodex for the longest time because the place that used to sell it went out of business!
Luckily someone told me that there's a guy who lives a ways outside of town who has plenty of it on hand, who sold me the powder and a rear buckhorn sight for my Hawken.......coolness finally REAL black powder!

Back