• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Getting everything together

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ringel05

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Okay, have my 1750s patterns, linen fabric for shirt and breeches and linen thread. Trying to decide on whether to use worsted wool, gaberdine or a wool/silk blend for the vest and coat.
Civilian attire (too old to play anything but a civilian anymore). Was thinking of going somewhat fancy, maybe minor French nobility though living in El Paso Spanish would probably be more appropriate.
The linen fabric is supposedly heavyweight though if it is I'd hate to see the lightweight, that would be akin to going about in the buff. Given that I was wondering if I should line the breeches or simply make period underoos.

Wool Gabardine was invented in 1879, so it's out of time period for the 1750s. Don't ask me how I initially found that out... :redface: :shake:

colmoultrie said:
Wool Gabardine was invented in 1879, so it's out of time period for the 1750s. Don't ask me how I initially found that out... :redface: :shake:
I double checked. You're right, getting the different eras I'm doing mixed up.
Thanks!
:thumbsup:

Much of the linen available today is not, in my opinion, suitable for breeches/trousers or jackets. All you can get most places is basically Osnaburg in various thicknesses. Fine and dandy for shirts, not so great for breeches. They had much higher quality fabrics available 200+ years ago. Heavier, tighter weave. Twills. Canvases. However, finding such today can be difficult, but not impossible. Wm. Booth, Draper usually has some nice linen or hemp drill cloth available, as well as "Russia sheeting" (tight hemp or linen canvas), which would make for good breeches or a work jacket.

Many today simply forgo the use of wool, unfortunately. In the 18th century, they used wool for almost everything. Breeches, coats, waistcoats. Sometimes even shirts. Wool doesn't bother me in the least, so I have always been perplexed at the large numbers of people who whine about wool being "itchy". :haha: Wool can also vary widely in quality, and just because someone says "wool" does not mean it's like some of the cheap, coarse, foreign military surplus blankets (though some of them are actually very fine quality!). Therein lies another problem. Finding suitable wool fabric. You'll have to shop around. Personally, I don't trust anyone's description of wool fabric anymore(heavy, light, tight weave, etc), and from now on I will get sample swatches before ordering any wool fabric.

For dress or winter clothing you generally want real broadcloth, which has been fulled (to varying degrees, depending upon quality), and will be dense and relatively smooth, rather like felt (which in a way, it kinda is). And no, if you can find it, it ain't gonna be cheap, but the cheap stuff ain't worth it either. :wink: Lots of other wool fabric (serges, kersey, etc) that used to be commonly available are definitely not so today, but if you look, something good can be found. Wool flannels were common then, and still fairly easy to find today. Lighter weight than broadcloth, of course, but still can be good for waistcoats or maybe even coats.

Worsted wools, as I understand it, are made only from the longest wool strands, and combed, spun, and woven in such a way to make a thinner, tighter fabric (?). Worsted wool does not have the insulating properties of regular wool, and would be better for warmer weather. Some of these can be very fine and lightweight.

Silk waistcoats were popular for the well-to-do, and if they could get damask or other figured silk, even better. At this time, the fanciest fabric would usually be used on the waistcoat.

Look around, do some digging. :wink:

Stophel said:
Much of the linen available today is not, in my opinion, suitable for breeches/trousers or jackets. All you can get most places is basically Osnaburg in various thicknesses. Fine and dandy for shirts, not so great for breeches. They had much higher quality fabrics available 200+ years ago. Heavier, tighter weave. Twills. Canvases. However, finding such today can be difficult, but not impossible. Wm. Booth, Draper usually has some nice linen or hemp drill cloth available, as well as "Russia sheeting" (tight hemp or linen canvas), which would make for good breeches or a work jacket.

Many today simply forgo the use of wool, unfortunately. In the 18th century, they used wool for almost everything. Breeches, coats, waistcoats. Sometimes even shirts. Wool doesn't bother me in the least, so I have always been perplexed at the large numbers of people who whine about wool being "itchy". :haha: Wool can also vary widely in quality, and just because someone says "wool" does not mean it's like some of the cheap, coarse, foreign military surplus blankets (though some of them are actually very fine quality!). Therein lies another problem. Finding suitable wool fabric. You'll have to shop around. Personally, I don't trust anyone's description of wool fabric anymore(heavy, light, tight weave, etc), and from now on I will get sample swatches before ordering any wool fabric.

For dress or winter clothing you generally want real broadcloth, which has been fulled (to varying degrees, depending upon quality), and will be dense and relatively smooth, rather like felt (which in a way, it kinda is). And no, if you can find it, it ain't gonna be cheap, but the cheap stuff ain't worth it either. :wink: Lots of other wool fabric (serges, kersey, etc) that used to be commonly available are definitely not so today, but if you look, something good can be found. Wool flannels were common then, and still fairly easy to find today. Lighter weight than broadcloth, of course, but still can be good for waistcoats or maybe even coats.

Worsted wools, as I understand it, are made only from the longest wool strands, and combed, spun, and woven in such a way to make a thinner, tighter fabric (?). Worsted wool does not have the insulating properties of regular wool, and would be better for warmer weather. Some of these can be very fine and lightweight.

Silk waistcoats were popular for the well-to-do, and if they could get damask or other figured silk, even better. At this time, the fanciest fabric would usually be used on the waistcoat.

Look around, do some digging. :wink:
:thumbsup:

Actually decided to change my tack for now. Considering I'm in El Paso, not much call for "colonial" unless one is doing Mission, I'm going with an 1870s-80s setup. I already have a fine wool silk blend for my frock coat, brushed cotton for the lining, one vest made from a paisley wool and one from a silk brocade. I already have a sky blue wool trousers I may leave or dye a darker blue.
I have Preacher boots, a (newer) flat brim, round crown Stetson that I'm replacing the leather band with grosgrain, proper leather belt/buckle with a slim jim holster.
I already have the correct period forearms though I'd love to pick up an 1860 Sharps Carbine converted to 52-70 I've been drooling over, it's an original in almost pristine condition, I just need large donations of cash......... :wink:

Stophel said:
Cowboy era???? That's way too easy.

:grin:
Not as a cow boy (The proper way to spell it in the 1800s......)
Nope, as a Freighter running Army supplies and other goods out of San Antonio to the newly re garrisoned Fort Bliss in El Paso.
I'm looking at the Frock coat pattern and scratching my head, that sucker is complicated.

Currently sewing together a 1860-70s vest, the problem I'm running into is how to sew in the proper welt pockets. The instructions are confusing at best and the online videos aren't much better.

lm109n.jpg

I'm doing the one on the right with the shawl collar, the one on the right shows the welts better.

Finally found the proper video and it all makes sense now. Many hours over two days of searching videos and rereading the instructions...... What a pain......

The biggest problem is in searching Welt Pockets, up till 1950 there were definite distinctions between Welt, Jet and Piped pockets. Too many people these days don't make that differentiation, heck the first videos I watched were for Jet pockets labeled as how to sew Welt pockets.

Rifleman1776 said:
Both nice. The one on the left (red) is pretty spiffy, IMHO. Would be suitable for modern day wear.
This one is my first, I'll probably do the one on the left next then my frock coat. After all that is done I should have at least enough knowledge to put together a passable 1750s outfit.

Run into a little snag, having problems trying to find out how to attach the collar. Nothing in the pattern or instructions covers it and everything I find online presupposes the person viewing the pictures/video already knows something about it......

Okay, here's the practice vest sans the buttons and button holes. First one I've ever attempted and some of the mistakes are glaringly obvious.

DSC_0323.JPG

Back