• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gentlemen…

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Gentlemen”¦
I have a question that needs an answer before
I start spending money that I shouldn’t be
spending.

I have had this crazy idea of building or altering
a swivel (Rail) cannon into a hand (Held) Cannon.
Probably something with a 1” bore and 35 or 40 lbs
Of weight. My question is: Using an extreme of
Imagination, would such an animal be even remotely
period correct?????
I don’t plan on actually firing a ball with it, but rather
to use it as a demonstration or salute piece.
Thank “Q”
YMHS
The Olde’ Bushwacker”¦..Hisownself

I would try doing a Google search for handgonnes.

R/s,
Charlie
Gunner, Virginia State Navy
Gunner, HMS Squirrel, North American Squadron

"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
~ George Mason, during Virginia's ratification convention, 1788

Depends on what period you are refering to.

My 14th Century Handgonnes:

The 1.5" Kracken:

MEKRACK.jpg

Click here to see movie of me shooting My 14th Century 4-Bore Handgonne

grin.gif

:shake: Now that's impressive watching the shoot---I looked and said "watch your ears" BANG!! and your comment about forgetting your "God Blessed ears". I just love my .60 handgonne, it get's peoples attention at the range. :nono: :shocked2:

Pasquenel said:
:shake: Now that's impressive watching the shoot---I looked and said "watch your ears" BANG!! and your comment about forgetting your "God Blessed ears". I just love my .60 handgonne, it get's peoples attention at the range. :nono: :shocked2:

The comment was "I forgot my God Blessed Ear Wigs!". But tell me that one inch ball wasn't traveling. If you listen closely, you can hear the clang of the ball hitting the target at the end of the gonne's report. That was 110 grains of the "P" stuff, R and S, at about 50 feet, I think.

CP

Back