• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Found this the other day......

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Halftail

58 Cal.
Reaction score
While traipsing through some of my favorite woods.
DeadDeer002.jpg

Winter kills a % of the deer up here in the North.Last winter was particularly bad one.
Shame. :(

A pity.

I never see that many articulated bones. The coyotes scatter them long before the hide & meat is gone.

One January I found five carcasses within about 10 yards of each other. I figured they were already weak and just hunkered down and ran out of energy before a storm passed (we occasionally get more than a foot of snow in a single day).

No caring family, neighbors, welfare or soup kitchens for nature's children. When your energy bottoms out it's all over.

No caring family, neighbors, welfare or soup kitchens for nature's children. When your energy bottoms out it's all over.

Your right Stumpy,
It can be a cruel existance.
Ditto on the snow,we have had a couple of real bad long winters here the last 2 years.Hard on the Deer.
The Rabbits on the other hand seem to be Booming,They are everywhere!

Another way to look at it is that it was a bad day for the deer, but a wind-fall for a whole slew of smaller creatures.

My sister-in-law, a vegitarian from CA (are there any worse?) was watching the chickadees and woodpeckers in our bird feeders one year on a visit.

"We never get woodpeckers! What do you feed them?"

"Suet"

"Where do you get that?"

"That came from along the spine of a deer"

"Those birds are eating meat?" A ghostly palor filling her face

"Of course. The majority of birds will. You think eagles and osprey eat carrots? Their ancestors descended from carnivorous dinosaurs, after all. And you know what? They didn't learn how to do it on my porch. They find it in the woods on animal carcasses."

"B-b-but chickadees?"

"A flock will clean you to a skeleton in minutes if they catch you alone in the woods." :crackup:

A deer that dies in the woods is never truly wasted.

Another way to look at it is that it was a bad day for the deer, but a wind-fall for a whole slew of smaller creatures.

And those chew marks on antler sheds, believe squirrels and other varmints gnaw on 'em for minerals.

SK-
I don't want to go off on to big of a rant here or get too much off topic, but reading your sister-in-law experience sounded just a little too familiar.

I just don't understand why so many people only see the "warm and fuzzy" aspect of nature. So many anti-hunters seem to have difficulty seeing nature and wildlife for what it is. I have met very few "nature lovers" who have any true understanding (like most folks on this site do) beyond the "oh what a cute baby deer, rabbit etc."

I am frequently asked (criticized) by family members as to why I can

and animal rights activists say hunting is cruel for animals. apparently they never venture into the woods after the snow has melted and seen the devastation that mother nature provides. Hunting looks like heaven compared to that. am i right gentlemen? :m2c: :master:

Back