• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Foster slugs

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hbasajaun

32 Cal
Reaction score
Dear sirs I have a pedersoli slug shotgun, it has cylinder bores, no chokes.
What do you think about use this kind of bullets in smoothbores?
Anybody use them?
Nowadays I use ball and patch.

My gun

Attachments

• 20231023_131048.jpg
    20231023_131048.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231023_185550.jpg
    20231023_185550.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231023_130747.jpg
    20231023_130747.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
I would try the Foster slugs & see how they performed using various charges of FFg powder.

If they are accurate for your purpose, keep shooting them! If they are inaccurate, stay with patch & ball.

They tumbled and keyholed for me within just a few yards.
So I hot glued a folded narrow strip of wool blanket scrap into the hollow base. The strips were about 3/8" wide x 4"or5" long, folded in half, stuck in the back and glued.

This drag-stablized them very nicely.
With the streamer tails you could see them flying! They would only fly a maximum distance of about 200 yards.

Last edited:
So I hot glued a folded narrow strip of wool blanket scrap into the hollow base. The strips were about 3/8" wide x 4"or5" long, folded in half, stuck in the back and glued.

With the streamer tails you could see them flying! They would only fly a maximum distance of about 200 yards.

Well THAT'S certainly different!

We use streamers a parachutes on very small model rockets because of the drag they produce for little weight and great reliability.

That's innovative! Were you able to get good groups with them?

That's innovative! Were you able to get good groups with them?

As I recall they shot pretty well. Figuring a way to get them to stop tumbling in a smooth bore was the best part. I was shooting them from a 62 Cal smoothbore rifle and a Howdah pistol.

As I recall they didn't weigh much more than a roundball, they were just a fun novelty to play with. And like most all of my experiments coming full circle,...always to return to the patched round ball.

They never were accurate for me.
Me neither

I found that Brenneke style slugs worked very very well, and they had the wad secured to the rear to similarly drag stabilize the rounds.

LD

Back