• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Forty-Four Years, the Life of a Hunter: Being Reminiscences of Meshach Browning, a Maryland Hunter and Trapper

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score

This fellow claims he killed more bears with a knife than he did with his musket. Good reading about the early east coast states.

Forty-Four Years, the Life of a Hunter: Being Reminiscences of Meshach Browning, a Maryland Hunter and Trapper​

Amazon.com: Forty-four Years of the Life of a Hunter: Being Reminiscences of Meshach Browning, a Maryland Hunter eBook : Meshach Browning: Kindle Store

Forty-four Years of the Life of a Hunter: Being Reminiscences of Meshach Browning, a Maryland Hunter - Kindle edition by Meshach Browning. Download it once and read it on your Kindle device, PC, phones or tablets. Use features like bookmarks, note taking and highlighting while reading Forty-four...
www.amazon.com

Great read...almost mandatory for anyone interested in ther era. We talk about this book a lot here. I have no doubt about him killing/finishing off many of his bears with a knife. It saved lead and powder, and in his book, especially when he was young, both were in short supply. Also....He was a market hunter, and a bear was a bear, and preferred eating. He killed many young bears/ cubs, which likely was not too difficult with a knife.

I grew up about an hour from the area where Meshach Browning's adventures transpired. When I was young , my Father and I , hunted and fished many of the places , where Mr. Browning lived , and wrote about. Reading his book , was especially thrilling to me , because I knew the area. I recommend reading his book , to anyone wishing to know how hunting was , back in the early days . He lived near Friendsville , Md. , and hunted parts of southern Pa. ,as well. Some of the place names given in his stories , are still bearing the same names , he called them. It's a great read...........oldwood

Back