• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock came in pieces.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulTBarton

40 Cal.
Reaction score
This will be my very first flinter. I picked up a basket case flinter in .45 cal, a T/C Hawken KIT type. It was missing a bunch of parts but it is now working and have shot it in three outings. Cost for the initial spree was $100. Ordered a pile of parts from TOTW, nice folks, quick shipping! I belong to the AZ Muzzle Stuffers fray.
hf45_rr1a.jpg

Paul aka BartSr aka IdeZilla

HAHAHA, this pix was taken before the TOTW thimble screws came in, so no place to hang the ramrod. It's here, in the bag with the rifle, waiting patiently. :grin:

25 yds, 45 grs of Goex FFFg, blue tick patch, .440 RB. When I get the frizzen to work properly, I'll show some better holey targets.

Not bad for a first time flinter.

As you get use to it and practice your sustained followthru it will get even better. :)

you should reasonably expect better groups than that at the 25 yard line, unless (a) you're not on a bench- if this is the case, you should try to 'bench' the rifle, or (b) you haven't got the barrel to settle yet - sometimes this take a few hundred rounds.

You may want to consider the purchase of Dutch Schoultz' method. Here's a link: http://www.blackpowderrifleaccuracy.com/

this is probably the best shooting accessory you can buy: it's not gadget or thing- a- ma- bob, but a practical method which, if followed, will shrink your groups. Mr. Schoultz guarantees it!

good luck with your new rifle!

go forth, and make good smoke! :grin:

p.s. if you scored that rifle for a hundred bucks - don't tell anyone. you'll only sow the seeds of jealousy and dissent :rotf: :rotf:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, it was $100 and then the extra parts added up. Barrel lug, rib+thimble screws, flintlock tool kit, extra flints, brass wood screws, rear sight parts, etc.

I made a flint wallet and a tool wallet to fit into the handmade shooting/possibles bag to keep things organized.

If this lock turns out to be a dud then I could upgrade to the TOTW replacement made by L&R, the "LOCK-LR-03-F".

BartSr

Congrats on getting that gun shooting again...at a bargain price! :thumbsup:

No the TOTW screws that I ordered came in.
The Hawken rear rib screw, the one that holds the ramrod spring was out of stock. I imagine that it was the same as a thimble screw only shorter, and that would be easy to fix.

Also, the vertical adjustment screw for the rear sight was missing, so I made up something that works for now.

BartSr

I've got a rib screw too if you want it. Would donate it to the cause so you can get that rifle in one piece finally.

Looks like you only need more practice to tighten up those groups. Familiarity with flint ignition comes at the simple cost of range time.

I've found that the metric screw bins at a nearby ACE Hardware has about everything I need to work on some of my rifles. Look for one near you in Mesa.

As long as it fires, don't be too concerned about the lock you have now. Locks can be disassembled, and bearing surfaces can be polished or honed to reduce friction & speed up lock time. Look for a lighter sear plunger spring. It will lighten up your trigger release a lot.

I forgot where I've seen replacement frizzens (maybe MidwayUSA or MidsouthShootersSupply), or you can surface harden yourself if you can heat to cherry red - let me know if you need some surface hardening compound, since I've got enough for you to do it.

You'll get a lot of advice about just about every facet of shooting your rifle. Here's mine: try all the different patch lubes you can find, then try my recipe of 1 part castor oil to 5 parts Denatured Alcohol. It makes a 'dry' patch that resists fouling better than anything I've used in my over 40 years of muzzleloading.

Rib screw went out in today's mail.
Now finish puttin' the dang thing together. :haha:

Paul,
It looks like your on your way with the flinter! I just started shooting flint this year myself. It can be a challenge but its great fun.

I ran the shoots for the Muzzlestuffers for a year back in the 1980's. Rick & Barb Burton usually ran the matches but they took a couple of years off. Steve Cooley, Jim Middleton, Ernie Ptolomy ?, Dale & Jen Woith and a few others were regulars back then.

I live in the South Bend, IN area and shoot with the River Valley club in Edwardsburg, MI. Say "HI' to all the old timers for me!

Steve Hefner

Nice work, Paul - I'd say you've really hit the (rocklock) ground running !

:bow:

PaulTBarton said:
Yes, it was $100 and then the extra parts added up. Barrel lug, rib+thimble screws, flintlock tool kit, extra flints, brass wood screws, rear sight parts, etc.

I made a flint wallet and a tool wallet to fit into the handmade shooting/possibles bag to keep things organized.

BartSr

You ain't seen nuttin yet. Once the bug bites you're in for a real ride. :hmm:

Back from vacation to Vancouver WA area. Installed that final screw, thanks to Jethro.
Ready to go a-shootin', yeehaa. :applause:

Paul

Latest posts

Back