• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flinting tool.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TDWise357

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Read somewhere in another post about a flint napping tool made from an old concrete nail. Could someone elaborate? Any other designs appreciated.

I would not suggest using anything made out of steel for knapping if you are going to do it with the rock in the jaws. Sooner or later you will forget it is still loaded and you may just knap yourself an accidential discharge. I use a length of round brass stock, probably 3/8" and tap it with a small plastic head hammer, works fine, no sparks. I have done nothing to the stock, just left it round.

you take yer nail, and you cut off the pointy part so that you have a very flat end. Then, you cut a small notch in your nail about maybe a 1/8 inch up the shaft.

Anyway... I use an iron hex rod that came on my flinter's ring of tools. I cut a notch in there, and when I need to nap my flint, I just tap that rod with the flint edge in the notch ever so slightly, and that works just fine for me.

Buz

I started with a tool as Arrowstart describes, but am now in Swampman's camp...after using the tool for a while, I got a "feeling" for the flint and found I could do just as well with the back edge of my knife..Hank

Swampman said:
I use the back of my knife blade.

Me too. In the half-cock position, I make one pass along the edge of the flint, tapping gently, and it's re-sharpened. No need for me to carry a special tool just for that purpose. :thumbsup:

Excuse the newbie question but can you guys elaberate on how you sharpen the flint with using the back of your knife?? I just got into flintlocking and don't have a clue as to what you need to do with the flint.

Ron

I cradle the rifle in my left arm with muzzle pointing downrange and I use a tiny hammer tool and gently tap along the front edge of the flint in a downward angle. It throws off tiny spalls from the underside of the flint creating a sharp edge.

Others have their own methods I suppose.

Claude Mathis said:
Swampman said:
I use the back of my knife blade.

Me too. In the half-cock position, I make one pass along the edge of the flint, tapping gently, and it's re-sharpened. No need for me to carry a special tool just for that purpose. :thumbsup:

Me three.

No need to use the knife. You can use the heel of the frizzen and not risk slicing yourself. :winking:

But, for working larger spalls off really dull flints the flint tool works better.

thumbnailbrassrod.gif

Very true but the small brass knapping hammner with a heart handle from The Gun Works has a bit more class. Besides it looks good.

But it's not authentic. That's why I use my knife. I do like the back of the frizzen idea. Anything to eliminate clutter and junk in your bag is a good idea.

gentlemen, I belong to a lot of forums, from Dutch oven cooking to muzzleloading. I have to say that the short time I have belonged to this group it is the best one. Thanks. :bow:

Back