• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flint too percussion

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PitchyPine

69 Cal.
Reaction score
Did a search but dang if i could find anything.
Am thinking about converting my 50 Blue Ridge frontier to percussion. The part list includes complete lock, drum, nipple and screw set.
Am i right to assume the screw set is talking about the clean out screw.
What does this job consist of, as far as i can figure it`s a matter of screwing the drum in and by filing or shimming get it to tighten up so the nipple lines up with the hammer.
Has anyone done this here or can fill me in about it.
Thanks.

:(
I don't know why you would wan't to .
But to each his own ,it's your rifle.
I seem to want to go the other way .
Changed my wife's rifle to flint and she likes it a whole lot better now .
She wanted to know why they invented "cussed caps" any way.

PitchyPine said:
Has anyone done this here or can fill me in about it?
Haha, maybe we should "trade parts" :hmm: , as I have a Perdersoli percussion Kentucky that I'm looking to buy a rock lock for.

Poster 'Gyttorp No. 3' nicely answered my post in the flintlock forum about this and gave me[url] www.vtigunparts.com[/url] as a source for many replica gun parts, like Uberti, and Pedersoli et al.

If indeed a Blue Ridge is a Perdersoli (I thought they are ...?), they just sent me this info, but please note, this is for FLINT locks, but perhaps the "L" or "S" will correlate to the size needed for your correct cap lock.

FLINT - Use L410 lock for the "Kentucky Lux" rifles

FLINT - Use S410 lock for the Kentucky-Country "Hunter" rifle models

Hope this helps you!

FYI - I plan to keep mine as a switch-lock rifle, so if you do have the "S"-sized percussion lock and want to sell it, please PM me :thumbsup: !

Cheers :hatsoff: !

Last edited by a moderator:
Money money, never enough, i`m thinking now that i may keep this rifle and am looking at the Traditions Pennsylvania in percussion.
They look like a pretty nice rifle then i would have both.
But after removing the cam cover on my Harley this morning i find i`ll have to be sticking 600 bucks in it to replace the cam chain tensioner shoes. :shake:
So i guess it`s looking like February before i get another gun.

That Pennsylvania with it`s 1-66 twist should be a good hunter using a maxi ball right.
Anyone shooting one?

That Penn. with a 1-66" twist should be a real good patched round ball shooter but isn't likely to be that great with Maxi balls. Bullets like the Maxi Ball normally need a faster twist rate, like 1-28"-1-32"

I have a blue ridge percussion 50 I have been wanting to convert to a flint. Maybe we can just swap barrels and locks? My muzzle is coned so as to elimate the need of a short starter though. If you are interested send me a private message.

I've converted several but if you guys can just swap rifles I think that would be a great solution. :grin:

CoyoteJoe said:
I've converted several but if you guys can just swap rifles I think that would be a great solution. :grin:

It`s hard not to like the flintlock and probably will keep it and get a second rifle.
I was curious how well the conversion worked and if there were any big problems doing it.

Rebel, i was thinking just backward about the twist for maxi balls, actually the Frontier with the 1 in 48 would probably work good or should it be faster yet.
I was kinda thinking about a percussion rife and using Pyrodex and a Maxi ball for a hunting rifle.

I guess some people have good luck with the Maxi's i a 1-48" twist. I have never found a need for them. A well placed round ball will take game cleanly. If you need more mass, get a larger cal. A .54 cal rd ball is fine for deer, elk, moose, etc.

A 54 is in the line up, i`m just trying to gather some info, i like shooting maxi balls, could always shoot more of them between cleaning. If ya have a mold they`er fun to shoot. Never have been it`s gotta be one way person, never know if ya like it till ya try it. :)

I have tried the Maxi type bullets, (Great Plains bullet, Ball-ett, Maxi Ball) and never did lke the results. Weren't as accurate for me, and didn't kill deer any better than a well placed rd ball of the same cal. But, to each their own.

I`m not doubting the effectivness of the patched round ball, i shot a deer with one this year and was very impressed.
Just thought it would be neat too have a different rifle that shot something else.
Kinda like my bows, i have a coumpound, re-curve and a long bow and they all shoot different type arrows.
:v

And i'm not saying you shouldn't get another rifle to do it with. Just pointing out that i like the rd balls. Any excuse is a good excuse for another gun.:thumbsup:

I hear ya, it`s making ones mind up of which one to get that`s hard.
One of those big smoothbores would be cool too someday.
Don`t worry one of these days i`ll have a whole bunch of new questions for you guys. :winking:

Back