• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flint gets stuck on hammer face.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Need help, sometimes the cock falls and I gets sparks. Other time the flint gets stuck half way on the hammer face.
Do I need new spring?
Pull the lock 1st /clean /lube reinstall not over tightening lock bolt ,make sure moving parts are not making contact with wood anywhere . You did not mention lock maker (quality or other ) but imports could be using a cheaper part than a name maker (custom supplier) ,but yup you might need another spring if available/or lock /Ed

More info needed. What kind of lock? Did it use to work and just start doing this? Does the frizzen open easily if you move it by hand?

Sorry, it is a Chambers English Gentleman Sporting rifle. It was made for me by a gentleman recommended by them. I forgot the name. It seems to start doing these randomly even after being clean and with no powder in the pan.

Also try the lock out of the rifle, it may be binding on the stock.

I agree the first place I’d look is the flint too long? If it’s hitting more than 2/3 up frizzen it needs shortening or changing the bevel by turning the flint over.

If nothing else works call Jim Chambers. Great guy and one way or another he will put the lock in shape.

Latest posts

Back