• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flasks pics

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crow#21957

50 Cal.
Reaction score
What is the best way to carry powder in the firl ? Your opinion. I just had a brass/copper flasks get smashed in my possibles bag. Glad I had two but still didn't want that to happen. I would like to find a indestructible flask.

I don't hunt so don't worry much about my two brass flasks. I often carry one to the range just to hold powder or more recently carry the powder "can" to which I affixed a spout through the screw top.

I'm also curious about good flasks. The three brass ones all about the same price seem to have different methods to open the nozzle, wonder if one is flimsier than the other. The bigger reproduction flasks seem quite large for my use

The only flask that I own is kept in a wood box, along with my Colt revolver. Snail #11 capper is in the tray along with small tools needed for maintenance.

Attachments

• IMG_1682[65].jpg
    IMG_1682[65].jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1681[63].jpg
    IMG_1681[63].jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Honestly, I think powder horns are a better choice. The horn doesn’t “sweat” with rapid changes in temperature, the shape carries well on your side, and a properly made horn is airtight, which protects the powder from humidity. With that said, the charger top of a traditional flask sure is a convenience. I have several flasks, all modern-made but traditional styles, and use them frequently on trips to the range. Before comments are made about safety, I will say that I dump the charge from the flask into an oversized (100 grain) powder measure, and then pour from that into the barrel. We don’t pour directly from the flask into the barrel these days.

However, as one who has handled a few antique flasks, I would like to point out that they are inherently fragile. They will handle use in the field with reasonable care and last for generations, but they are simply not built to withstand being sat or stepped on, or trampled by a horse, or slammed in a car door. How on earth did a flask get smashed in a bag?

Respectfully, maybe a change in how one‘s gear is managed and handled might be preferable to getting an armored flask!

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Personal preference and accoutrements that match the style of gun, hunt or costume may mean a brass flask or a horn are more appropriate. I use a horn most of the time, but a large basket-weave style flask seems more fitting for a later style English Fowler. My daughter prefers a small flask in her pouch, as she felt a little uncomfortable with extra straps and things to manage at her side while shooting.

Latest posts

Back