• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flap jacks and pancakes whats the difference?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the terms are interchangable. "Flapjacks" are more a southern thing. I don't know where the word started or how. When I was growing up, both terms were used in our house.

Jac S. Muell

Answers.com sez...

"In the UK, flapjacks are made out sugar butter oats honey etc, and pancakes are batter things that you fry.

In the US, the words flapjacks and pancakes are used interchangeably to refer to the same thing. The pancakes may have other ingredients in them, such as oats, honey, etc., but we still call them either pancakes or flapjacks."

It's a start...

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep.

British flapjacks
In Ireland and the UK, a flapjack is a baked bar biscuit, cooked in an oven tin and cut into rectangles, made from rolled oats, fat (typically butter), brown sugar and usually Golden syrup or honey. As well as being baked at home, they are widely available in shops, ready-packaged, often with extra ingredients such as chocolate, dried fruit, nuts, yoghurt and toffee pieces or coatings, either as individual servings or full unsliced trayfuls. Flapjacks are not a cake, but many people consider them as such. They are usually an alternative to a biscuit (cookie) or cake, and textures range from soft and moist to dry and crisp. Because of the high levels of fat and calories in traditional recipes, some 'diet' versions are available with lower fat and calorie content. Similar products are known in Australia as muesli bars or simply 'a slice'. This product is also known as Hudson Bay Bread in North America.

you hear old timers call them flapjacks and wonder how different the mix was

I know mom used to make Buckwheat pancakes
they were darker and more heavy it seemed

I just wanted to see what some of you guys thought

I still make buckwheat pancakes/flapjacks and like them a lot. A pinch of baking powder in the batter will make them less dense as will an egg.

One of the biggest things I miss is the annual "Buckwheat Festival" back in WV.

Jac S. Muell

I'm fond of buckwheat pancakes, make them with soured milk. seem to hold me better than wheat flour unless whole wheat. like to douse 'em with warm apple sauce and honey.

Up here in the mitten state our "shanty boys" or lumber jacks used to eat em with gravy for breakfast. I have tried em that way, right good once in a while. Flapjacks is pancakes the other way up. Or might could be the other way. I'll have to ask Paul Bunyan.

Can't splain it to. Ain't rightly sure. I like cornmeal pancakes better anyway. Always called em flannel cake.

yes squirrel, cornmeal griddle cake with sausage gravy and a boiled cackleberry is a breakfast that will stick to a man's ribs. :thumbsup:

To me that's a "Hoe Cake". Old folks like 'em just made with plain white cornmeal and water, gummy!. I like to take Cornmeal mix and make thin with water. Spreads out and the grease cooks up around the edges, crispy. Call it "Lacebread"

Down here in south GA it's got to be 100% Cane syrup. Hard to get now, best I know of commercially is Steen's 100% out of LA. I order it from the "Best Stop" in Scott LA. Best Boudin too!

Ben

Back