• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Finished Horn............

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soggy

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Earlier this summer a friend asked me to make him a horn to go along with a flintlock that he's presently building. After searching all the local sources for a suitable horn I was directed to "Powderhornsandmore.com" by some of the horn makers here on the forum. John was very helpful in selecting a horn for the project (I highly recommend him to anyone considering making a horn)
Here's a couple of pictures of the horn as it was nearing completion and the last one is the final product........

TheHoskinsHorn068.jpg

TheHoskinsHorn071.jpg

TheHoskinsHorn074.jpg

TheHoskinsHorn083.jpg

The maps are of his (my friends) home province, and a more detailed map of the coastal region where he was born. The inscription "As Loved Our Fathers........." is taken from a play by Thomas J. Cahill that has to do with the Fierce political and religious conflict that devided a Newfoundland family in 1948, the critical year when the citizens choose between independence and provincehood. The compass rose is so my friend can always find his way home.......
comments welcome
SOGGY

Well I'm glad you said somethin about "Province", that second pic looks like an Ice Berg to me! :blah: Btw I see a mark, star lower bottom of that Ice Berg...must mean something other than a seals blow hole??

Nice work soggy! :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: VERY GOOD!! I love a story! cool that everything has extra meaning! lucky man! ya dun good Soggy, ya dun real good! :hatsoff:

Swampy said:
Well I'm glad you said somethin about "Province", that second pic looks like an Ice Berg to me! :blah: Btw I see a mark, star lower bottom of that Ice Berg...must mean something other than a seals blow hole??

Nice work soggy! :thumbsup:
Yup! that's suposed to be a map of Newfoundland; the star is on the south coast where my friend was born. Not many icebergs on the south coast. Best place and time for ice bergs is the North-east coast in early june......... BTW...........they have ice bergs that are larger than the state of Rhode Island... :blah: ......... :rotf:

Quite a masterpiece ol' Sogg!
I particularly like the "Codfish" spout plug!That horn seems extreamly black on the end.That looks more like natural colour than dye?

......they have ice bergs that are larger than the state of Rhode Island... .........

Thats fine, just keep em up there! :haha:

Dang Soggy, that is one fine horn! :hatsoff: I like how you designed the engravings. Very nice...
Scott

Soggy, this is a very, very fine powder horn. You certainly went to the best source to get a quality horn and I appreciate your engraving style. It's obvious you studied some great looking horns and you executed your plan nicely. And I'm glad you decided to 'peg' your base plug with what looks like wood in the last pic. At least you didn't use those round brass brads. Overall this is a very pleasing powder horn to look at that has all the classic features you would like to see. Something that is hard to do. You did just fine.
Gary

I noticed he changed the plug, he didn't like the fish you installed in the unfinished version?

Hey Soggy, have you ever considered making face carvings for the big end plug of the horn? I have one of your carvings and I think you could incorporate that talent into horn making as well. (something to think about my friend)

Musketman said:
I noticed he changed the plug, he didn't like the fish you installed in the unfinished version?

Hey Soggy, have you ever considered making face carvings for the big end plug of the horn? I have one of your carvings and I think you could incorporate that talent into horn making as well. (something to think about my friend)

The "Cod Fish" stopper was more or less an inside joke. After all cod fish was the main stay of the Newfoundland econmy for centuries. I gave him that stopper but decided to make a proper one for the horn.
As for carving a face "for" a horn ; no I haven't done it,......... but I did once carve a face "with" horns........... :grin:
DrunkenViking003.jpg

Nice work Soggy. :hatsoff:

Very nice scratchin'! And I agree, a face on a plug would be way cool. :thumbsup:

Jethro224 said:
Nice work Soggy. :hatsoff:

Very nice scratchin'! And I agree, a face on a plug would be way cool. :thumbsup:
Something to consider in the future.........

Back