• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Finding a load

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VEARL

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Shot some today with the TC 54 CAL Renegade.
1st target was with 80 gr. of Goex 2f BP at 50 yds. .530 RB with .015 pillow ticking for patch. A lubed wad atop powder.
Shot second group with same components but used 80 Gr. of Goex 3f BP. Seems the rifle shoots a little better with 2F BP.
All shots were at 50 yds
54Renegade002.jpg
yds.

This is the shot group using 3F BP. a little larger than the first group. Have a lot more to do with t
54Renegade003.jpg
his rifle. Time will tell.

I don't see enough difference in those groups to make a call.

You really need to shoot 5-shot groups with each load. Try this, put two targets side-by-side. Shoot a shot with 2F on the left target, then a shot with 3F on the right target. Repeat that sequence until you have five shots in each target. Then repeat the whole exercise with fresh targets. Now you have four 5-shot targets and will pretty much know what's going on. You might even consider doing it at 25 or 30 yards to eliminate as much shooter error as possible.

There's another thing to consider when comparing 2F and 3F loads, and that's velocity. Given the same volume, 3F is likely giving you a higher velocity.

Consider this possibility: Say the gun shoots its best at 1600 fps, and 80 grains of 3F hits the 1600 mark, but 80 grains of 2F falls short. It will seem as though the 3F shoots tigher when in reality a load of 2F that gets up to 1600 fps may do just as well, or better.

May want to try dropping your charge down to 60 grains. Shoot a group, then increase 5 grains and shoot again. Keep doing that until you find the tightest group. I have shot FFFg in my .54s, but they all prefer FFg also.

Thanks for the input guys.
Will try your suggestions.
I was under a time limit on shooting yesterday. I shoot at the Police Dept range where I retired. I don't like to interupt any classes that they are having. They are kind enough to let me use their range at no cost.
Next trip out, I will shoot groups with 5 gr. increments at 25 yds for the tightest grouping.
Been a long time since I shot a 1/48 twist barrel.
Having fun shooting and exploring loads.When I get a good load worked up for RB, then I will have an excuse to go back to the range and work on a conical load for it.
Thanks again.

Individual guns are different, but I expect and get groups less than half that size (mostly in the 2" range) from my 54 Renegade. Only difference I see between your loading and mine is the patch, and I'm not using a wad under it. I'm using .018 lubed at the muzzle with TOW mink oil tallow. In truth, mine seem to like .020 even better, but those are enough harder to start that I'm happy with the .018 accuracy along with easier field loading.

And I'd sure wander up the scale as well as down in your hunt for accuracy. My gun kinda "came alive" when I passed 80 grains of either 2f or 3f. My accuracy load with 2f is 100 grains and with 3f it's 90 grains. To be frank I never dinked around much with loads in the 50-70 grain range with either powder other than a group or two. They just weren't shooting flat enough for my needs. However, the rifle is really fond of 30-35 grains of 3f for mushing bunny brains out to 30 yards or so.

i wouldn't worry about changing the powder charge yet. 80 grs should shoot pretty good and is a medium load in a 54. something to try would be everything the same except don't use the over powder wad. i have some PRB rifles that shoot tighter with OP wads and some that spray all over the target with them. my .58 will clover leaf RB's without OP wads but add a wad and it shoots one foot patterns at 50 yards. i also have had the same findings as BrownBear with regard to lighter charges. all my .54 and above PRB rifles shoot tighter groups with higher powder charges.

Thanks Brown Bear and Whitworth. I will try the no op wad and see how that does. I'm thinking like you do in regards to the higher loads. Just something else to try.
Since I don't drink and can't run to catch a fat lady...I go to the range :thumbsup:

Were these groups off bags? If not you still have some work to do to see what your stick really likes.

Catman....yes they were shot off of my rifle rest, at 50 yds. Everyone was so helpful with good suggestions. It will keep me busy at the range next time I get to go.

Latest posts

Back